rare copy of Wells Octopus book on Amazon,

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
there's a rare copy of Wells Octopus on Amazon, but it's not cheap... I've been looking for a copy for years, but $400 is out of my price range for it, sadly.

Amazon.com

is where to go to get a copy if you have an extra $400 lying around to spend on it...

edit: guess it was worth $400 to someone, 'cause it's no longer listed... sigh. I'd like to get a copy about $80-100 worth, and Amazon's "list price" though unavailable is $43.

monty;100110 said:
edit: guess it was worth $400 to someone, 'cause it's no longer listed... sigh. I'd like to get a copy about $80-100 worth, and Amazon's "list price" though unavailable is $43.

The joke will be on them when it becomes available via one of the bind-on-demand machines!

Jean said:
we have a copy in the library but funnily enough I'm not allowed to sneak it out and rehome it at my place

When I was in grad school the library wouldn't let some journals circulate outside the building; meaning I couldn't use my department's photocopy account. Not wanting to pay fifty cents a page I came up with a rather elaborate system to hoist books out a window and down about fifteen feet!

DHyslop;100148 said:
When I was in grad school the library wouldn't let some journals circulate outside the building; meaning I couldn't use my department's photocopy account. Not wanting to pay fifty cents a page I came up with a rather elaborate system to hoist books out a window and down about fifteen feet!

They've thought about that........all the windows are sealed shut! but our dept provides photocopy cards we can take to the library!

j

Nancy;100154 said:
Books like that generally hold their value as rare books, I think. There's quite a market in rare books.

Nancy

Sadly a lot of them go to "collectors" of rare books, and end up looking nice on a shelf, and aren't appreciated for their true worth:cry:

Hmm, I doubt it for this one. You'd want it strictly for its content.

OK, I confess. I bought it, and it lived up to my expectations. Don't worry, it's being read.

Nancy

Nancy;101538 said:
Hmm, I doubt it for this one. You'd want it strictly for its content.

OK, I confess. I bought it, and it lived up to my expectations. Don't worry, it's being read.

Nancy

I'm glad it went to good hands! It's a great book-- reading that in a couple of different libraries was what really got me hooked on ceph biology! I'll keep my eyes open, and maybe one will show up in my price range (or, even better, maybe my job hunt will end with my bringing in a reasonable salary this time; my last job paid me in stock, which ate my meager savings... but hopefully someday I'll have that much extra book money...)

So many of the ceph classics are out of print now. I've seen them for as high as $1300! I'm trying to build up a good ceph libarary, but slowly.

Monty, I've worked for a high-tech startup where I was paid mostly in stock - I feel your pain! Not too many of them make it (of course, it's wonderful for you when they do!)

Nancy

I have another reason to not be jealous: Andrea got me a copy of Nesis as an early birthday treat... :read:

But someday, I shall have a copy of Wells... someday...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back