• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

questions

zupar1187

Hatchling
Registered
hey guys,
A couple of questions I live close to the coast in Florida and was just curious if i could take sand, rock, or water strait from the ocean as this would save some money. Would that be beneficial at all or should i just use filtered water, live rock(although i'm assuming that if the rock i get from the water is sumbmerged in a jetty or such will be the same as live rock right?), and store bought sand?

Unfortunately it would most likely be contaminated with things that won't go away in a closed system, polluted. I think it is illegal to collect any live rock in Florida unless you get it from a specific area, I'd check your local laws. Could end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

If I remember my reading correctly, it is now illegal to collect ANY rock from FL unless you have a licensed "farm" for aquacultured rock.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back