• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Questions on new octopus

You'll have to wait for Nancy to answer that. I'm pretty sure in "Ceph Care" you can find an answer to that.

Are Little neck clams from the grocery store ok to feed a bimac??

Typically, egg masses that are produced by the female have already been rendered fertile by a male's sperm packet. Yes, they can lay infertile masses, but it seems to be somewhat rare.

Regarding the clams: as long as the octopus eats them, the type doesn't really matter. Just be sure to remove them from the tank if they are not consumed quickly, as if they were dead or dying, they can foul a tank very, very fast.

Just to add a point about briarues and egg laying...

A female that I had laid eggs soon after I got her. She would initially swim about the tank for a week or so after the eggs were laid and then she settled down and during the incubation she ate several times but not always the whole item. Be careful if feeding an expecting mother as she may appear to be eating it but may be just moving it away from the eggs!

Once the eggs hatched she became very agitated and died within only a week or so. Much faster than what has been reported for bimaculoides mothers.

and yes, a female octopuses eggs need to be fertilsed by a male before they will hatch.

cheers
colin

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back