• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Question about feed (money related)

aspinn

Hatchling
Registered
Hey guys i know this is a personal question but i love octopuses and but i dont think i will be able to get any due to the fact that i will neevr have enough money to afford food for it... but before i make my decision on weather to chuck this idea out of the window i wanted to ask how much money you spend on food for your octopus in a month? are they expensive to feed? also what do you feed yours? live food? frozen? if so were do you get it?

well thank you =) and if you dont want to answer the money question that is fine by me =)

thanks!

lots of money!

i spend at least 60-70 dollars a week. i feed my octo live crabs, snails, shrimp, clams, and sometimes pieces of frozen shrimp. but i've heard that not all octos eat frozen food. i'm only 14 so it's hard for me to afford it but it's worth it! you can also catch crabs and other live food at local beach's and other places. just make sure you have the money to spend before you get your octo.

fishkidd try looking at a bait shop for food. you are spending way too much. i spend no more than 8.00 a week and i usually have food left over. i buy crabs for 1.00 each and shrimp for 2.00 for half dozen. i feed him once a day because of the size of the food i get.

i tried!

i tried local bait shops but they are out of season and i have to wait until summer. so atm i'm forced to buy my food from the lfs. it's expensive but i don't mind for now. anywhere else i can buy food for cheap?

i only feed my octo live food because he doesn't really like frozen food. there's not many stores that sell live food around my area. when i get my 5 gallon tank started i'll buy a bulk order of fidlers and that should save me some money.

i would try and work something out with the fish store and see if they will sell you wholesale since you are using it for food. where do you live ?

the other thing you can do is give him a goldfish or a cray fish once in a while so ur not spending 5 or 6 bucks per meal .
people say not to do it all the time but once in a while wont hurt. i give mine a goldfish about once a week

big fish;110259 said:
the other thing you can do is give him a goldfish or a cray fish once in a while so ur not spending 5 or 6 bucks per meal .
people say not to do it all the time but once in a while wont hurt. i give mine a goldfish about once a week

As you say, rarely but not often is OK, but any freshwater animal doesn't really meet the octo's nutritional needs.

Another concern for goldfish, though, is that they are often treated with copper medicine routinely by LFSes, and if they have been, that could make them very toxic to an octopus. Presumably, your supplier doesn't do this, big fish, since it hasn't hurt your octo, but for anyone else reading this is probably not a good idea, and even for big fish, I worry that if your LFS or their goldfish supplier has a fungal outbreak and treats it without warning you, it could kill your octo.

I will just repeat Monty's concern since I was going to reply when I read the goldfish suggestion. I ask a department manager at a chain store about the use of copper for the freshwater fish (I knew the person but the meeting was unexpected) and she stated that ALL fish received a copper treatment as a preventative before being put into the tanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back