Question about deep-sea ceph's

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Steve O'Shea said:
My science teacher told me and my folks at one of those parent-teacher thingies that I'd "never amount to anything because I was too tunnel visioned". That hurt more than anything anyone has ever said.

Hear that one, my friend. Had an art teacher tell me that my work was "purile", and that even though "you have no talent, you'll probably make it because you're stubborn". Nice guy. I laughed when his wife dumped him.

Onto the submarines...Erich and I were talking at Tonmocon about building a remote submersible...hmmm.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hmmm...I think we were talking more about tubes and lights, etc. That is one heck of neat sub, though. Would be a bummer if a large male showed up (shades of Ace Ventura) !

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Not sure if this will be helpful in the cell-membrane adaptation question, but here's a ref that immediately sprang to mind - it examines different dermal structures ('scales,' 'warts,' etc.) in taxa like Pholidoteuthis and Lepidoteuthis, and gives some nifty histologucal cross-section diagrams and photos. Also may be slightly easier to read than some of those other ones. :bonk: Unfortunately not available online as far as I could tell, but if you can Interloan...

Roper, C. F. E.; Lu, C.C. 1990. Comparative morphology and function of dermal structures in oceanic squids (Cephalopoda). Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology 493: 1–40.

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I thought Lepidoteuthis grimaldi was renamed? Also, do the deep sea cephs spend any considerable time at the vents? If not is it just possible that they just don't dwell long enough to uptake a lethal dose of H2S?

Graeme

Latest Posts