• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

question about briareus

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
so i've seen a few pictures of O. briareus and i have a question. the pictures ive seen commonly seen show it kind of frilling out into a bubble shape. why does it do that? are the arms connected my some kind of webbing or something? it looks wierd. check out the first link to see what im talkin about.

http://www.brandoncole.com/profile photos/INVERTEBRATES/octopus and kin/lo6751.jpg

does it commonly do that? or does it usually look like it does in the second link? :confused:

http://marinebio.org/MarineBio/News/Letters/i/ceph.jpg

im just wondering if its some kind of protective behavior or what. input?

-Keith

cool. thanks for the help guys. bimacs are near impossible to get in california unless you go out and catch em, so im lookin at some other species. briareus caught my eye so im tryin to find out as much about them as i can. any tips on caring for them?

yea. its illegal to sell california two-spots in CA. dont quote me on that, but its what my LFS told me. so yea, im lookin at briaresus. its the most available octo i can house in my tank comfortably. still not sure if they have any special requirements that differ from bimacs besides a temp between 78-80 F. but luckily with briareus i can avoid shellin out 500 bucks for a chiller :biggrin2:

Keith;120037 said:
yea. its illegal to sell california two-spots in CA. dont quote me on that, but its what my LFS told me. so yea, im lookin at briaresus. its the most available octo i can house in my tank comfortably. still not sure if they have any special requirements that differ from bimacs besides a temp between 78-80 F. but luckily with briareus i can avoid shellin out 500 bucks for a chiller :biggrin2:

Actually, it's not illegal to sell bimacs in California, it's illegal to collect them for sale. That's a very important distinction. It's perfectly legal, in particular, to collect them, breed them, and sell the offspring. It's just difficult and hasn't been profitable for anyone who's tried, as far as I can tell.

man thats a bummer. theres one store that i talked to that gets them a few times a year, but their deliveries come unannounced so its hard to keep up on em.

O. briareus is a reef octopus and this is one of the ways they feed, by making an umbrella shape over a rock or coral head and capturing any food there.

You might want to look at Animal Mother's Kalypso - he has a thread about her in Journals and Photos.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back