Question about Acclimation

Eagleray

Blue Ring
Registered
We are moving Alice in another week. I am looking for any advice about moving her. She has gotten too big to move the way we wanted to. She has a tentacle span of 36 inches, and we have no idea how we are going to move her into her new tank. We are testing our water in a couple more days and I will post the results here. We are trying to get the two tanks as close as possible to help with acclimation. HELP US PLEASE!! Any suggestions woould help
Tim and Beth
P.S. Still no sign of Butter

How friendly is Alice? Can you touch her?

You might be able to use a large net, or combination of picking her up and using a net under her.

Nancy

Does she live in something that you could just pick up and place in a bucket and then acclimate? Or....How bout introducing a big jar??? Or some other container? Think she'd go in?

Carol

I wonder whether it's possible to exchange water between the two tanks so she could go directly to the new tank without an intermediate step....

Nancy

Burstsovenergy24 said:
With big fish on other forums people suggest cleaning a towel really well then putting it under the fish and using that to transport it. :smile:

YIKES :shock:

How much scale damage do they report?

I'd've thought towelling would be much too rough and certainly for an octis delicate skin.

We move ours by using a large soft net and gloved hands (cotton gloves of the sort used by archivists or fish gloves ....waaaaaay too expensive for your average home aquarist) into a bucket or fish bin of water and then place the fish bin (or bucket :smile: ) into the new tank. It's hard work but the octi doesn't seem any the worse for wear, only us, we're exhausted!!!! We typically are moving octis in excess of 10kg weight!! and greater than 1m arm span!

It can be done! Just take your time and plan it!

Cheers

Jean

Definately use a bucket to acclimate like Jean said. IMO the tanks should not have that far off params so it shouldn't be a long process. just temp, salinty, and quality. Quality should be about the same, as well as, temp and salinty, right?

Get the temp of the two tanks as close a possible, and then i f you could out alice in a bucket and add (drip) the water from the tank that will be her new home, would that not work???

I've always thought about transfering smaller octos to their new tanks by using a tube, provided that the tanks aren't too far apart. Try putting a bucket in the tank, then put a crab in the bucket and hope that the follows.

Just to get this straight, I think I understand that some people have said that I can put her right into the new tank, with no acclimation. To tell you the truth, this kind of scares me. I don't want to shock her. Althought, maybe if the salinity, temp and quality are the same, it won't he a big difference. I still have a week to get this straightened out, but I like to have a plan, and then back up plans in case something unexpected happens.
Best:
Get her into a backet with a lid and drip acclimate her
Next
transfer her with a backet right into the new tank, (if she is getting the lid of the bucket off.)
Next
Scoop her up and drop her in

Hopefully all goes well. I'll let you know

Sounds good, take time to make sure although the water are close, she gets good and acclimated to her new h20. Then when ever she is in her new tank, inside the bucket, I think I would let her come out on her own. :biggrin2:

I would put in a pipe or a similar plastic object that she can climb in and remove it with her in it. You are definetly going to need to acimatise her to the new water. Probably by putting her and the pipe into a buket with original water and slowly add new water for an hour or so.

Soft towels and pillow cases work great with transferring big fish and as long as it is a soft towel and rinsed well to make sure there is no washing powder reside on it then i reccomend it. Easiest way especially for big powerful fish. But im not so sure it would be easy with an octo...

easiest way with a cuttle was to guide them into large plastic bags in the tank and lift them out in water

I think you deffinately want to let her come out of something on her own so she doesn't get freaked and ink.
Plus the slow acclimating will reduce the likelyhood she gets shocked going into the new water. Try to make sure your PH is close to the original also.

Why couldn't we just have gotten a hamster? It seemed so simple before moving. :bugout: I am sure that we will be fine. My husband and I will be working together, with a friend also in attendence, in case anything goes wrong. We are doing it during open hours of the LFS, and our guy there said that if needed, he will come and help us. As I said, we are making sure the water is very close to each other, so if worse comes to worse, she's going in. I wish I could make her understand that this is for her own good.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back