• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Pygmy Atlantic Octopus care

Screen made of metal (even aluminum) is not a good idea (it will rust) but the fabric or fiberglass kind would be OK. A larger mesh might be better for anything that, if blocked, would flood the tank.

Screen made of metal (even aluminum) is not a good idea (it will rust) but the fabric or fiberglass kind would be OK. A larger mesh might be better for anything that, if blocked, would flood the tank.
Thanks! I will look for some fiber glass screen. And I would definitely prefer to use a larger mesh screen, but I'm setting up a tank for a pygmy octopus and I'm not exactly sure how large I can make the mesh before I risk him escaping.

Is it ok to use regular window screen material to block off exits? I'm not sure what they're made of. Is there anything specific I should be watching out for?

As already stated, do not use stainless steel or metal meshes. Stick to a nylon or plastic mesh which is available on Amazon. (I personally work in a laboratory setting so most often order "laboratory sifting mesh" from Carolina). In case you are not aware, micron refers to the size of the hole in the mesh, so a 500 micron mesh would have a larger hole than a 200 micron, etc. I would stick to a ~1000 micron mesh (hole size ~0.1 cm). You'll likely have to monitor/clean it often, but it will keep your octo safe.

As already stated, do not use stainless steel or metal meshes. Stick to a nylon or plastic mesh which is available on Amazon. (I personally work in a laboratory setting so most often order "laboratory sifting mesh" from Carolina). In case you are not aware, micron refers to the size of the hole in the mesh, so a 500 micron mesh would have a larger hole than a 200 micron, etc. I would stick to a ~1000 micron mesh (hole size ~0.1 cm). You'll likely have to monitor/clean it often, but it will keep your octo safe.
Would you mind posting a link to a good mesh on amazon? I see a few but they all talk about absorbing moisture which seems like a bad thing.

What exactly are you planning on covering with the mesh? There are few different options and I'm trying to find what will work best for your tank. Do you have any photos?

Also, I do not have any experience ordering octos from LiveAquaria but I have ordered fish, nudibranchs, sea slugs and coral from them and they have all been packaged to what I would consider the industry standard to be, so I have no reason to believe they wouldn't do the same with an octopus.

Yes, can you highlight in the photo you posted which area you are going to cover with mesh?
Also could people tell me about their set up for live feeder foods?

Attachments

• C6AD33B7-A452-4B1D-8C1B-1B983DA67F4B.jpeg
    C6AD33B7-A452-4B1D-8C1B-1B983DA67F4B.jpeg
    544.6 KB · Views: 110
  • FFDF8F4A-0645-4CA1-8897-B8FD73753F8E.jpeg
    FFDF8F4A-0645-4CA1-8897-B8FD73753F8E.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 100

Pic 1: If you're only covering that small area, it does not make sense to buy a whole roll of mesh. Perhaps purchasing these filter bags and re-purposing one to cover the intake would be better as you can then use the rest of the bags for filter media, etc. Amazon.com

Pic 2: For that top section I would purchase a sheet of pvc foam to cover it & perhaps velcro to secure it. https://www.amazon.com/Expanded-PVC-Sheet-Lightweight-Displays/dp/B079NL6B7S/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=pvc+foam+1/4"&qid=1579876347&sr=8-7

Also, we have a separate tank set up with our fiddler crabs.

For feeder foods, you have a few options. I feed my octopuses fiddler crabs that I get shipped from Florida each week. I store them in a separate tank that is on its own system (crabs are really dirty and I don't want them on the same system as my octopus). You could also do the same with any species of crab. If you are close to the water in Massachusetts you can go crab hunting yourself! Between August-April is a really great time to find Asian shore crabs all along the rocky shoreline (I have done this very same thing myself). You have to be a bit careful when harvesting crabs from the wild because Massachusetts has some guidelines on recreational crab fishing, which you can read more about on their website here.

If you don't want to feed live foods you can also feed frozen shrimp. The kind you can get at the grocery store should be acceptable (you may need to remove shells/tails depending on how picky your animal is). Otherwise, you can source shrimp from a restaurant distributor, but they don't always sell to hobbyists. Training your octo to eat frozen food can take a few weeks, but once you have gotten them to eat off of a stick they will be happy to eat that way for the rest of the time you get to spend with them.

I'm sure other members have more experience feeding frozen foods and could weigh in with their opinions as well.

Pic 1: If you're only covering that small area, it does not make sense to buy a whole roll of mesh. Perhaps purchasing these filter bags and re-purposing one to cover the intake would be better as you can then use the rest of the bags for filter media, etc. Amazon.com

Pic 2: For that top section I would purchase a sheet of pvc foam to cover it & perhaps velcro to secure it. https://www.amazon.com/Expanded-PVC-Sheet-Lightweight-Displays/dp/B079NL6B7S/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=pvc+foam+1/4"&qid=1579876347&sr=8-7

Also, we have a separate tank set up with our fiddler crabs.

What do you think of this mesh? Nylon 6/6 Woven Mesh Sheet, Opaque Off-White, 12" Width, 24" Length, 1000 microns Mesh Size, 59% Open Area Amazon.com

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back