• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Purified water for tank

MTadd

Hatchling
Registered
Well I'm beginning to set things up for my octo tank, it's a 125 gal. I'm going to build a refugium sump with a protein skimmer for filtration. I work at a pharma company and maintain our purified water system. The system consists of a softener, DI unit, RO unit, and then water in the tank is ozonated, before water goes to useage points the ozone is removed via UV light. TOC (total organic carbon) is way down around 1.07 or so. It's really pure water devoid of most anything. When steel comes into contact with it it corrodes (rusts) quickly. Sooooo finally my question, is this water too pure to use for my aquarium? I know it won't be that pure for long once salt is added and bios build. I have a pretty limitless supply, so it would be great if I could. What do you think?

Your salt mix should provide all that you need and add as little as possible of what you don't want. One thing I don't know about is the water softener. I assume it takes our minerals like the function DI unit (specialized sand bed) unit but I don't know how an additive softener works or what it adds to the water.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back