• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

PUMPS: Atman Vs. Resun Vs. Oceanrunner

Hello everyone,

I'm pump-hunting for an 8000 L/h pump to drive a Beckett head skimmer and these are the ones around:

Atman MP-8500 about $58 US
Pentax about $80 US
Ocean Runner about $300 US

and, the RESUN MD55 (an IWAKI clone from China) about $90 US

I'd like to know if people have had good or bad experiences with these pumps - breakdowns, heat, noisiness, etc. I've heard terrible things abut Rios!

I wonder too if anyone knows how to calculate electrical usage rates based on wattage, I'm guessing an 8,000l/h pump is gonna be pretty hungry for power.

Thanks for anything you can share,

Michael

I've always used Rio pumps (largely because my company market them) and never had a problem with htem.

I've never heard of your first two pumps but Ocean runners are pretty good.

You could always buy a larger pump (ITT have a good range) and use ball valves on them to restrict the flow, this will help you out if you ever need to enlarge your system!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back