Public Cephalopod Aquariums

Has anyone compiled a list of public Ceph tanks?

For example, I know there are some Big Red Octos at the Morro Bay Aquarium in Morro Bay, CA.

I'll try to dig up some pics I have from there.

Can anyone else add to this list?

Great idea!

Here are a few I've been to:

MOTE in Sarasota, Florida
Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach CA

Is the Seattle Aquarium just called that? And what's the name of the one near the NRCC that Greg B works at?

edit: there's also a small aquarium near or on Fisherman's Warf in San Fransisco that has a GPO, or at least did in 2000...

There's an octopus and 3 cuttlefish here at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps, La Jolla, CA.

Not sure on the species. All I remember is that the cuttlefish were simple labeled Sepia. It wasn't dwarf.

Yurei;106079 said:
There's an octopus and 3 cuttlefish here at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps, La Jolla, CA.

Not sure on the species. All I remember is that the cuttlefish were simple labeled Sepia. It wasn't dwarf.

There's actually 3 octo tanks at the Birch Aquarium. 1 GPO, and 2 Bimacs. One of the Bimacs is kept outside in a "tidepool" display :goofysca:. The care taker told me she's only seen it out once, but it's very big for a Bimac.

There is also a cuttle and GPO display at the Sea World in San Diego. Funnest GPO I've gotten to see.

GPO and Sepia pharaonis at Dallas World Aquarium.

Bit far afield for you guys but the New Zealand Marine Studies Centre and Aquarium (Dunedin, NZ) has NZ Common Octopus (Pinnoctopus cordiformis) and Midget Octopus (Octopus warringa/huttoni complex) and what we call "cuttlefish" Actually a bobtail squid (Sepioloidea pacifica).

J

Definitely a great idea. We should have a living document for this. A modification of the Tank Owner's Database would be good.

I know currently there is an octopus in the Camden, NJ aquarium as well as at the Baltimore aquarium.

Ooh, can I play too? :heee: Aquaria with cephs that I saw this year...

- Two Oceans Aquarium, Cape Town (cuttlefish and octopus)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium (I think they had an octo?)
- Steinhart Aquarium, California Academy of Sciences (nautilus... maybe more if the new site is open now? Thales?)
- Thales' Personal Home Aquarium (wunderpus and cuttles :cool2: )
- Waikiki Aquarium, Honolulu (octopus)
- Akvariet i Bergen, Norway (octopus... O. rubescens I think?)
- Kelly Tarltons's Underwater World, Auckland, NZ (Octopus gibbsi, [dead] Architeuthis dux :cool2:)
- the Auckland Museum also has a live octo on display most of the time

Jean;106100 said:
...and Midget Octopus (Octopus warringa/huttoni complex) ...

Not sure if there's a 'complex' there Jean. Is there something you're not telling us? Certainly the Fiordland specimens are larger than elsewhere, but the likelihood of their being an endemic in this region is exceedingly remote (and I'm not sure if there's a precedent).

I looked at this years ago, and couldn't differentiate those from around NZ, and NZ from Australian specimens, referring all to O.huttoni (Benham); I'd love research (genetic) to be done on it; is this happening?

Most public (and large private) aquariums have some sort of ceph exhibit, usually an octopus. If there's only one octopus, most likely it's a GPO, at least in the U.S.

Nancy

Steve O'Shea;106115 said:
Not sure if there's a 'complex' there Jean. Is there something you're not telling us? Certainly the Fiordland specimens are larger than elsewhere, but the likelihood of their being an endemic in this region is exceedingly remote (and I'm not sure if there's a precedent).

I looked at this years ago, and couldn't differentiate those from around NZ, and NZ from Australian specimens, referring all to O.huttoni (Benham); I'd love research (genetic) to be done on it; is this happening?

Oooops bit of presumption and a typing slip here! I have no idea if these are a complex or not! I was reading about the O. horridus complex and it just slipped into my ramblings! I'd love to look into the genetics too.....hmm could be postdoc in that! Any idea on how long the larvae are in the plankton? There is some evidence that larvae that have a short planktonic period do not leave the Fiords (I'm thinking of Kina here). So that could be interesting to look at these small octopus from different locations and look at their genetic relatedness.......ponder, ponder!

J

Tintenfisch;106113 said:
- Steinhart Aquarium, California Academy of Sciences (nautilus... maybe more if the new site is open now? Thales?)
- Thales' Personal Home Aquarium (wunderpus and cuttles :cool2:

:biggrin2:

Steinhart only has nautilus right now, still at the 'temp' site (though we start moving stuff next month!). Sadly, there aren't any firm plans for any other cephs at the new site.

-The New England aquarium in Boston has cuttlefish and a giant octopus. Last time I was there they had nautitus, but they are not listed on the site.

-The National Zoo in DC has cuttlefish(S. officinalis) and a giant octopus.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back