Project: Nautilus Conservation - How to Save a Species?

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi Everyone,

"Nautilus Conservation" is such a broad subject so I'm going to try and limit the focus to the specific work I have been involved with and provide links to other work on the subject.

To me, the whole concept of "Saving Species" was pretty abstract until I got in the thick of it and was able to see all of the many, many pieces that go into saving an animal, or plant or ecosystem for that matter. To that end, I'll be going over the different steps that have gone into Nautilus Conservation over the past several decades that have led up to the first proposal to the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) to protect nautiluses.

It is an important time in Nautilus Conservation with the 17th Convention of the Parties (CoP) CITES meeting in September-October 2016. Here, the world will vote on whether to regulate the trade of nautiluses.

I'll start with some general background and a "cheat sheet" for abbreviations going forward so it doesn't look like a bunch of jumbled words.

SAVE THE NAUTILUS!!!

Greg

Attachments

• Nautilus.jpg
    Nautilus.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 386
UPDATE:

The National Marine Fisheries Service has published a POSITING finding on the proposal to list nautiluses under the United States Endangered Species Act. Federal Register, Volume 81 Issue 166 (Friday, August 26, 2016)

This is a significant step for nautilus conservation. I am searching for better information/links on how y'all can help with the next steps and share the information. #savethenautilus

Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back