• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Prices of octopuses?

hi

could anyone please supply me with some prices of the octopuses that are readily available and easy to keep?

could i pay some one to ship one over for me ill put the money to your account before you ship it. im really desperate for a octopus.:biggrin2:

thanx rudi:sly:

The price usually varies, usually it's less than US$125.

I would be happy to send an octopus to you if you were to tell me where you wanted to get it from, what type you wanted, etc. I would get it sent to my house first, give it fresh water/heat pack, etc. The only problem is transit overseas isn't really an over night thing, even first class air. That could stress the octo and cause some other damage. Plus, I doubt it would get through custums very fast. If you find a way that is fast and safe, let me know and as I said, I would be happy to send it to you.

i saw a couple of caribean reef octopuses available. what are starter octopuses? im really just geting into this and want something that is hardy. would the transport of the octopus be a problem would it stress him out and kill him? what size do they come in?

Carribean Reef Octopuses are not a species of octopus as far as I know. This is one of the things you have to watch out for when buying octopuses. Most of the time they will just write down what ever name comes to the top of their head. What you have to do is get in contact of the seller, and get them to send a picture of THE ACTUAL OCTOPUS THEY ARE SELLING, otherwise they will just get a picture off the internet. Then post it here, and people on tonmo should be able to give a pretty acurate ID of it.

There really is no "beginner" octopus, they all require the same amount of care etc. You should have at least some experience with salt water before you atempt a ceph.

Yes, octopuses can get stressed in transit, especiallly in long transit. Some more than others. This usually doesn't kill them instantly, but can lead to a shorter life, or even death a couple of days after you receive the octopus.

i saw one that i like from fishsupply.com and also marinedepotlive.com. maybe we can send it in a box of other stuff or in luggage with something else? im not really sure how, maybe inbetween a jersey or a blanket of some sorts in a bag. i have had a coral reef for 2 years now. so i do have some experience.

RUDI RAMAGE;111984 said:
i saw one that i like from fishsupply.com and also marinedepotlive.com. maybe we can send it in a box of other stuff or in luggage with something else?

This would generally be extremely illegal. Sending animals overseas can be problematic and expensive due to import regulations, so you should look into the laws of the country where you live.
Where do you live?

Its not just your country. Here in the states its still hard to get occy's and even harder to get cuttles. Good luck!

They use xrays as far as I know, so I don't think so. Yoiu will probably have to get in touch with them and tell them you have an octopus on the way which you need to have in a tank ASAP, Im sure you can work somethin out.

Rudi,
It would be safer for you and the ceph if you can find a local fisherman or diver to catch one for you. Fishermen, particularly crab fishermen, are most likely to find them and a $60 to $100 bounty should be enough incentive to keep it alive rather than cutting it up for food or bait.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back