Preserved squid sculptures!

I use an alcohol soultion for preservation...Otherwise known as rubbing alcohol hehe...

I recall hearing somewhere that a long time ago, if a crew member on a boat dies they often place the body in a barrel of wine or alcohol, so it doesnt start rotting on the boat during a long voyage...

Paradox said:
I use an alcohol soultion for preservation...Otherwise known as rubbing alcohol hehe...

I recall hearing somewhere that a long time ago, if a crew member on a boat dies they often place the body in a barrel of wine or alcohol, so it doesnt start rotting on the boat during a long voyage...

Adds new meaning to the idea of a rum-sotted sailor... :arr:

Jean said:
Nope! for good preservation you need to store it in some form of alcohol....usually ethanol or isopropyl alcohol (the latter being the best!).

Water is a universal solvent and will eventually destroy your specimen!

J

But after its soaked in formalin, will it not be practically indestructable??
That was my understanding of the stuff. Once you get that nasty stuff right through a specimen, it turns to the consistency of leather.

Graeme

Graeme said:
That was my understanding of the stuff. Once you get that nasty stuff right through a specimen, it turns to the consistency of leather.

Graeme

It's true that formalin does wonders for helping the specimen hold its shape for a very long time, but eventually (over a hundred years) can turn the specimen to mush. Some of the original specimens from the Voyage of the HMS Challenger were preserved in gin, which did a great job for a long time, but eventually alcohol (especially at high concentrations) makes specimens brittle. A combination of fixing in formalin and preserving in alcohol seems to be the best bet. If you fix in formalin and preserve in water, the specimen can mold.

Graeme said:

Graeme

It can get very.................crumbly! We have a squid specimen that has been sitting in formalin since 1953 and its looking very sorry now. Prob is that it's in a container we can't breach to change the chemicals and it's too badly damaged now to really make it worthwhile :sad: So we'll need to prep another!

J

:periscop: Hmmmmm. It should be fine in formalin for centuries, if not longer. Please do a pH check; if not 7 then you have problems.

Life without formalin is akin to life without oxygen! I :heart: formalin!

Paradox said:
Im making a series of preserved squids as sculptures...Heres my first one which was basically done to learn the best ways to preserve them. My future ones will have more artistic flare to them. This guy is 2 feet long!

dsc01725medium0ie.jpg

dsc01947medium1rk.jpg

What do you think?? Gross?? Cool??

Makes a good spooky nightlight :lol:

WOW!!! I'm sorry, I'd never checked this thread out (been rather preoccupied). This is fantastic - incentive to get my own pickled monsters on show!!!! Pickled monsters rock .... administration doesn't!

All I can say is WOW...who would have throught to have a huge preserved squid in your living room....I think my roommates would hurt me for that!

Steve O'Shea said:

Crazy cladist! (Clado-masochist?)

Formalin's all well and good, but I'm not going to give up my oxygen for it until I give up the ghost-- and I probably wouldn't make as attractive a pickle exhibit as a squid. Speaking of which, has anyone considered leaving their corpse to the "body worlds" exhibit? And I wonder if the plasticification stuff they do would work on our cephalopod friends and overlords?

monty said:
And I wonder if the plasticification stuff they do would work on our cephalopod friends and overlords?
Hello Monty,

I believe that process is already underway for one or two Architeuthis specimens. It's in a thread somewhere around these parts. Should be nifty, when complete.

I would donate my body to be plastinated, but only if the body were then sectioned and sold as festive coasters and placemats.

Cheers,
Clem

Clem said:
I believe that process is already underway for one or two Architeuthis specimens. It's in a thread somewhere around these parts. Should be nifty, when complete.

that's another exhibit to look forward to-- I wonder where they would be displayed... I'll look for the thread.

I would donate my body to be plastinated, but only if the body were then sectioned and sold as festive coasters and placemats.

Clemware-- for a classy dining experience-- register for your set at Macy's today.

"look mom! I got the a section that has liver and both kidneys!"

:goofysca:

Steve O'Shea said:
:periscop: Hmmmmm. It should be fine in formalin for centuries, if not longer. Please do a pH check; if not 7 then you have problems.

Will suggest it to the PTB's the specimen looks really skungy! I think we'll be after a new one..........wonder if whoever did the original forgot to buffer it????????

J

This is an old thread, but Ive been working on these since then!!

Four..or was it Five squids later, I think Ive refined my preservation articulating techniques and wood work. The pictures dont rally do them justice, but they are over 2 ft tall!!

What do you think??

heres a pic with the internal light off..

Fourth1.JPG

Light On:
Fourth6.JPG

more pics and a brief description can be found on here

http://thetentacleparadox.com/PickledMonsters.htm

Im getting ready to sell some, but I havent decided on a price yet. I consider them art, so Ill price them according to that. They do cost a lot to make and take over a month to complete one. Plus I live in an apartment!! So my room is a woodshop and squid preserving factory!!

This reminds me of something that you might see at the Mütter Museum only squiddy. Really outstanding work!

You're cuttlefish setup is very interesting. How many have you been able to rear from your setup thus far?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back