Preserved squid sculptures!

Im making a series of preserved squids as sculptures...Heres my first one which was basically done to learn the best ways to preserve them. My future ones will have more artistic flare to them. This guy is 2 feet long!

dsc01725medium0ie.jpg

dsc01947medium1rk.jpg

What do you think?? Gross?? Cool??

Makes a good spooky nightlight :lol:

Im actually not positive about the species, but I suspect it may be a small humbolt squid. If I look closely on some of its suckers on its feeding tentacles, there are circular serated edges.

Thanks for the comments!!! Im probably going to sell some soon. However, theres a lot to think about in how I would ship them to people since they are big and heavy. About 2 gallons of liquid to preserve some of these big guys!! Materials such as gthe glass and wood makes these guys not cheap to make. Then theres also the availaility of a good specimen.

I actually just made a cthulu head today....Ill post pics after it is fully preserved. Im trying to get a few ready for an art show in a couple months.. Hope I didnt gross anyone out!!

What do you use to preserve them? If you steep them in Formalin for a few days/weeks, and then drain and wash them you can just send the preserved animal in the glass tank and add a label "Just add water!" The formalin inside the cells already means that it'll be pretty much indesrtuctible.

Graeme

Graeme said:
What do you use to preserve them? If you steep them in Formalin for a few days/weeks, and then drain and wash them you can just send the preserved animal in the glass tank and add a label "Just add water!" The formalin inside the cells already means that it'll be pretty much indesrtuctible.

Graeme

Nope! for good preservation you need to store it in some form of alcohol....usually ethanol or isopropyl alcohol (the latter being the best!).

Water is a universal solvent and will eventually destroy your specimen!

J

Jean said:
Nope! for good preservation you need to store it in some form of alcohol....usually ethanol or isopropyl alcohol (the latter being the best!).

Water is a usiversal solvent and will eventually destroy your specimen!

J

No more long baths, I'm washing with ethanol from now on!

Melissa

um... said:
How about tequila? I'm going to have a nice new bar in my nice new basement in 2-3 months...

Well on my fourth year field trip we brought some specimens back for one of the academics........but as we hadn't planned to collect any specimens we had no preservative with us........so we went to the local hotel and bought a bottle of vodka (and one or two OTHER drinks at the bar :wink: ) which we used as a stop gap. But that's a very pricey way to preserve stuff!!!!!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back