• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Powerfull light fixture with red lights...bad or good idea?

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
I'm about to set my tank up ready to house my next octopus. Before I do so, I want to get corals setup (obviously ones that are known to be safe, I have the lists and relevant threads handy).

First step is buying a proper light for corals. I came across the ReefBreeders Photon series, which seem fantastic for the price and have rave reviews.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/photon-series/

I was talking with the owner, and he is willing to make a light with deep red lights in place of moonlights. These units can be programmed, so I can have a sunrise-sunset cycle during the day, and then at night have red lights automatically come on...allowing us to see the octopus (and around the apartment) without disturbing it.

I would like the input of the community...does this seem like a good idea, or a bad idea? It seems like a pretty good idea to me, but want to make sure I'm not missing any downsides.

The red "moon" light is an excellent idea. The only downside might be the brightness of the daytime lights if you care for a diurnal octopus (it may not come out for long if the lights are too bright). With most of my LED lights (relatively inexpensive sets - wish it had reds), I can set the brightness timing of both the white and blue lamps with a remote control. Is this an option on these? If so, perfect.

I just looked over the description and you should have full control over you daytime white and blue intensities separate from your "moon lights" where my nightlights utilize the same blues as the daylight lighting. Changing out all the moonlights for red may make your neighbors wonder about you and lousy photos but should be great for nocturnal observation of any nocturnals. It suggests but is not quite clear if the moonlights are on a "dimmable" channel but since they are designed for night display, this may not be important.

Last edited:
Thanks D

Yup, the lights are completely programmable and controllable, and I do believe the moonlight channel will be dimmable.

It might make it harder to resell with red moonlights, but should be great for my purposes.

The only downside is they don't work with a controller, but I can't really see my needing one in the near future, and the light being fully programmable should mean it isn't a feature I really need.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back