POST YOUR COLOSSAL SQUID QUESTIONS HERE

gholland;124549 said:
Hunh?!?! Adult mercs (or other octos) won't eat something the size of mysids or gammarus? Hmmm... now that I think about it, I don't remember ever trying to feed them anything that small on purpose. I do know the gammarus population has been decimated though!

But yours are not yet egg laying size/age. It would be interesting to put in something about the size of a new hatchling even now though since they are effecient with the fiddlers. I still have pods in the tank that housed Sisturus and Medusa and now houses Wiley. However, I did suspect that my males were invading the breeder net now that I think about it.

I SAW STEVE ON TV pretty cool show lol... just wanted to know i didnt see it how big exactly was the beak? do think a squid like that could take on a sperm whale and win?

Apparently, it has already been shown in the UK... I still have no clue how to find out when, if at all, it'll be broadcasted in the Netherlands :sad:

To answer the above query, first and foremost :welcome:

Secondly, have you got 40K per day of operation lying about, somewhere? Research expeditions cost hefty amounts of money, it is (almost) never a matter of technical insufficiency, (almost) always a matter of funding.

On a recent BBC program, Pacific Abyss, they had a diver go down in a Newt Suit - it was very creepy....I could just imagine them stumbling across a giant or colossal squid just hanging there, in the darkness....

Tintenfisch;124443 said:
The theories more often suggested (in squid at least) [about the loss of tentacles at maturity/senescence] are that a) the gonads take up so much room in the mantle that there's no room for food in the stomach/caeca; b) the squid focuses all its energy on gonad & egg production and simply stops feeding; and/or the muscle tissues begin degenerating as the eggs mature, so that the animal is perhaps physically unable to pursue food anymore. Or any combination of the above. :smile:

I had one more thought on this - if the muscular tissue is degenerating with age, yet the squid (either sex) keeps hunting as it is accustomed to do, perhaps the tentacles are lost when the squid latches onto a prey item it would previously have had no trouble with, but now cannot manage.

I am wondering about a few more things.
Do we know exactly how large these things can get? I know the largest LRL is 49mm, but could they possibly get too big for the whales to catch? And what are the hooks made of? I've looked for this information in other places, but after reading previous parts of this forum (mainly the 49cm LRL part :lol:) I realized you guys are the only ones who really know what you're talking about.

I doubt the practicality of a squid that big, actually. Being in such a deep location where food and oxygen is scarce and growing to so big a whale can't catch just seems kinda far-fetched to me.

I wonder is there a calculation of how big a squid can get based on the bio-mass, relative roaming range (for prey) and how capable it is as a predator.

Then we can factor in would the relative size affect it being a prey.

There is. Multiply by 3.5, divide by brain weight, log it by the power of creativity, and then multiply that by a proxy of divine intervention

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back