• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Possible O. Bocki

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I can only speak from observed experience with no data but I suspect infection from the eye damage. One of my favorite octopuses (Octane) climbed out of his tank and was not discovered immediately. He was still alive but the overhead fan had dried some of his skin. Over the next few days, he chewed off sections of multiple arms and then died. I am not sure (and I don't believe we have direct bacterial evidence) if Autophagy is a specific bacterial infection or can be the result of any infection that irritates the skin so contagion is confusing. In Octane's case, there was never a problem for other octos in the same tank.

Well After Hank died I ended putting another Octopus in the same tank and She ended up Dying within two Days ( She was an old Female who Laid then ate Her Eggs) After lots of thought and research I determined that to much of My biofilter had been lost. (I had previously removed some Live Rock to declutter) I have done this before with no ill efects but I guess I over did it. I have since dismantled that tank and now have two new ones. A 5.5 and a 29 Gallon.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konkong555

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak