Possible O. Bocki

• Thread starter Deleted member 14033
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14033

This is a test video i did to see how my new phone worked and i wanted to share it. It is slow mo at a certain point

Last edited by a moderator:
So This Octopus has Passed Away, but I want to give detail about what happened as it was very unexpected. Hank (O. Bocki) a few Days ago was perfectly fine then last Night I noticed He was climbing out on His rock which was not His usual given Hank was Nocturnal. He was changing colour randomly and was not as reactive than usual. He refused Food and He had Eaten the tips of some of His Arms off. This morning He was gone. My number 1 thought is Autophagy and second is an Infection due to a recently lost Eye. Conveniently He was put in "Quarantine" a Week or two ago in preparation for a tank treatment and new Octopus going in the main display tank. Just to clarify both display and "Quarantine" tanks have both contained Octopus prior with no problems. One of My Mama Octopus even laid Eggs that Hatched in that tank. The main display still has an Octopus in it so. I know Autophagy is generaly Contagious but this seems to be localised to only Hank. Hank and another Octopus were in the same Water system (but divided) for a while and She has no unusual Symptoms. So what does this sound like? Sorry to talk so much

Upvote 0
Ugh, that is upsetting. Sorry to hear. What was the cause of the lost eye? Definitely sounds like it was under some kind of stress given rapid color change.

Upvote 0
The Eye loss was the result of aggressive contact with another Octopus. That was an unfortunate experience. It was not from bites but grip. It was a Male And Female

Upvote 0
My main question is does this sound like Autophagy? I think it was an infection or even Senescence that I may mot have noticed. But i would like Someone elses opinion

Upvote 0
I am sure You are Right about it not being Senescence. I am hoping for an isolated infection so i do not have to dismantle and clean my tank.

Upvote 0
I can only speak from observed experience with no data but I suspect infection from the eye damage. One of my favorite octopuses (Octane) climbed out of his tank and was not discovered immediately. He was still alive but the overhead fan had dried some of his skin. Over the next few days, he chewed off sections of multiple arms and then died. I am not sure (and I don't believe we have direct bacterial evidence) if Autophagy is a specific bacterial infection or can be the result of any infection that irritates the skin so contagion is confusing. In Octane's case, there was never a problem for other octos in the same tank.

Upvote 1
Are these ok to feed to Octopus?

Attachments

• 20190801_160159.jpg
    20190801_160159.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back