• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Possible blanket octopus?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
found an old photo on this; I believe this was originally embedded somewhere in the original thread, but some of those old photos were missing from a server crash.
That is actually a (likely) dead, partly eaten/
scavaged deep sea squid, such as Thysanoteuthis or even a somewhat smallish Taningia.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Hmm, is that the case? I guess I've sullied a neatly closed thread... :-/ I can't find the original post, but I remember someone describing this very photo as being part of the series (i.e., mentioning the person on the boat with a camera in hand). I'll see if I can track it down. Is this creature unrelated to the original? I haven't scoured close enough / nothing jumped out at me to suggest it wasn't related...

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
The original showed a dark blue T. violaceus, doin' its thang, all a bobbin' bottlenoziness; the animal in this picture is a large finned deep water squid, crimson, as could be expected :wink:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konkong555

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak