Portobello Diary

O'Shea Octopus released!

We released O'Shea today as we have had him for over six months and he is an adult. He was released into Otago Harbour which has a healthy population of octopus.

J

Attachments

• conv_289942.jpg
    conv_289942.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 84
  • conv_289943.jpg
    conv_289943.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 86
  • conv_289944.jpg
    conv_289944.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 94
potential new arrivals at portobello

Her Majesty our current octopus has decided to lay eggs on the glass of her tank. As we've only had her a couple of weeks it is possible that the eggs are fertile. I'll try to take pics every so often!

Here's a couple of pics of the eggs and one of the lady herself.

J

Attachments

• conv_291922.jpg
    conv_291922.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 85
  • conv_291921.jpg
    conv_291921.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 89
  • conv_291920.jpg
    conv_291920.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 101
Jean;103443 said:
Her Majesty our current octopus has decided to lay eggs on the glass of her tank. As we've only had her a couple of weeks it is possible that the eggs are fertile. I'll try to take pics every so often!

Here's a couple of pics of the eggs and one of the lady herself.

J

:glass: congrats to mama octo! She's in your big tank?

mosthated;103489 said:
strange spot to lay the eggs,

Isn't it though. This has happened once before here back in the 50's or 60's Betty Batham the then director wrote a paper on it.

Batham EJ (1956) Care of Eggs by Octopus maorum Transactions of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 84. I have a pdf if anyone is interested.

J

Jean,
Please post a link to the PDF or PM me where I can find it! Without giving away the ending, did any of the hatchlings survive? Is she brooding them since they are in the open or do you expect her to produce more in a den?

TKS!!!

Try here

http://rsnz.natlib.govt.nz/search/results.html?author=name000088

if that doesn't work I have the pdf and I can email it to you! In 1956 they did hatch from the glass and the octopus didn't lay anywhere else. We have a den in the tank and this is where any mums have usually laid eggs but time will tell. As I left last night she was back up with the eggs in a very hunched postion......maybe laying more??????? I don't know but I'll keep an eye on them and post updates (with pics) when I can!

J

Jean,
Thanks for the paper, no problems accessing it (it does make you appreaciate today's cameras though). Does Her Majesty lay small eggs too? If not, will you try to raise some of them? How many eggs do you expect?

Sorry for all the questions but I have yet to see an octopus egg and probably won't this time around (if we had a successful mating earlier in the month) either as my Mercs have both chosen a barnacle to brood (the same one no less) and fully block the entrance.

Update time. We removed all other critters from the tank and Her Majesty has laid eggs on some of the rock work, some in the pipe we put in as a den and more on the glass. We are starting to see colour change in some of the eggs and perhaps thickening of the membranes.

J

Attachments

• conv_291962.jpg
    conv_291962.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 117
  • conv_291963.jpg
    conv_291963.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 104
  • conv_291964.jpg
    conv_291964.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 85
  • conv_291965.jpg
    conv_291965.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 91
Introducing Joseph (with a mantle of many colours!)

This is Portobello's new octopus Joseph. He is a large Pinnoctopus cordiformis and measures around 1.5-2 m arm spread and weighs in at about 15 kg. He is pictured devouring 3 large cancer crabs. And there is a general view of his tank. I've also sent Tony a video of him entertaining visitors (it was too big to upload myself!). The astroturf around the top of the tank is to stop him going exploring by himself (:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:).

J

Attachments

• conv_292216.jpg
    conv_292216.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_292217.jpg
    conv_292217.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 84

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back