Portobello Diary

dwhatley;109279 said:
Jean,
How do you clean Joseph's tank? It seems it would be very difficult to keep the viewing area algae free with the 360 degree exposure.

Ladder and trusty magnet with filter floss every day and Divers to clean and vacuum once a week! There is also UV filters on the sky light above the tank. Big job tho'. :biggrin2:

J

Diver? How BIG is the tank, my impression was it was only about 6' tall and too small for someone to get inside to clean with living things in the tank but too big not to - which is why I asked ;>)

dwhatley;109708 said:
Diver? How BIG is the tank, my impression was it was only about 6' tall and too small for someone to get inside to clean with living things in the tank but too big not to - which is why I asked ;>)

It's 7 feet (ish) tall and about 6 feet in diameter, it holds 5500L of seawater. A diver can get in and swim round the central rock pile (hiding the drain!) BUT they can't wear a tank, so the tank sits outside on the upper platform of a stock ladder (like you find in a warehouse) with an extra long hose. The diver is also attached to a rope and pulley system (which attaches to a beam and pulleys below the skylight) in case of an accident, there is another diver outside suited up in case of accident too. This is because it's an enclosed space and health and safety regs are very strict!

So it can be done........NOT a fav job in winter when the water temp is 5 celsius!!!

J

Here is a pic of Erin, our senior aquarist posing for the local newspaper (advertising the school holiday program, "stars of the sea"). This was taken before Josephs arrival, so we're hoping to get a pic with a diver and Joseph in the tank together!

J

Attachments

• conv_292276.jpg
    conv_292276.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 77
Thanks for the shot! I hope you get the other picture too though and one further back to see how the diver manages to fit in that tank! ;>). Do you pick the smallest person for that job?

We're going to try! No promises though.......it's usually a bit chaotic on cleaning day!

Erin is quite small but Pete on of the guys who regularly climbs in is a 6 footer, there is a limit of course but actually the most important aspect is dive qualifications! As it's an enclosed space the diver, must have an advanced certificate (usually PADI) and be an OSH certified diver (occupational health and safety a govt department who exist to introduce some silly rules [ some are sensible but most not! :biggrin2:]) an ability as a contortionist is helpful but not required :lol:

J

Jean,
We have OSHA (A for Administration) in the states as well (with a similar function :tongue:) but I don't know that they certify diving in the work place :biggrin2:

You mentioned two people that squeeze into that tank - I would so want to do that - but you DID NOT say that you have done any of the inside cleaning ...:confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back