Portobello Diary

Jean;139895 said:
maybe it's a southern expression!

Huh, I guess so - I certainly bow to the native Kiwi expertise. I've never heard it used that way here (:kiwiflag:), and I also don't remember hearing it used at all in the States. I don't belong anywhere anymore! :hmm:

My favourite thing about moving to the US (from London) is that my lovely apartment manager is actually called Randy. That's how I knew I'd really arrived...
Kat - I know what you mean. I have started to forget which words are "right" and which are "wrong". I'm never giving up on Jumper though. Or palaver.

Tintenfisch;139903 said:
Huh, I guess so - I certainly bow to the native Kiwi expertise. I've never heard it used that way here (:kiwiflag:), and I also don't remember hearing it used at all in the States. I don't belong anywhere anymore! :hmm:

I'm not a native Kiwi (although I've been here a looooong time)...........actually displaced Scot!

Cryp_Sis;139904 said:
My favourite thing about moving to the US (from London) is that my lovely apartment manager is actually called Randy. That's how I knew I'd really arrived...
Kat - I know what you mean. I have started to forget which words are "right" and which are "wrong". I'm never giving up on Jumper though. Or palaver.

What about "vest"? :biggrin2:

I tried to come up with something to do with mushrooms and octopuses in hopes that there was an octopus mushroom or fungus but all I found was recipes :hmm:

Not finding what I wanted I invented a play on the Italian word for Handsome (bello), the aquarium name and sounding something like Shakespeare (Othello) :razz:

OK, I give up - what about 'vest'? Just when I think I've gotten most of the garments sorted out... pants/trousers, jersey/sweater/jumper (still makes me giggle when my husband says he needs a jumper), beanie... and of course, fanny pack. :roll:

hummm, Kat does that mean you are most familiar with the English definition of fanny? I had forgotten that one (I used to act as translator in the bars for my Londonite boss :sagrin:)

Tintenfisch;139976 said:
OK, I give up - what about 'vest'? Just

Vest = either tank top or one of those garments your mum made you wear under your school shirt to stop you catching cold (don't actually know the US word for this item).
Fanny pack = much hilarity.
To be fair, much as I smile about knowing a couple of people named Randy, we did have a famous TV chef named Fanny Craddock. She was sort of the English Julia Child, although that might not be fair to Julia; Fanny was a bit too fond of using food colouring for my personal taste! Ask any Brit of a certain age about her, and I guarantee you'll hear the phrase "blue mashed potato". :bugout:

dwhatley;140055 said:
Do the Brit's still point Percy at the procelin?:sly:

Not all of us, some "spend a penny" dating from the days when public conveniences were kept locked (pre me!!!!) and there was a money slot for a penny to open the door to the individual cubicles!

Or they "go to see a man about a dog"......no idea where that came from but my Dad used to use it!

Fanny pack....kiwi's have bum bags!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back