• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

poor cuttlefish.

kurt72

Hatchling
Registered
so i saw my first cuttlefish at a LFS. i do not know enough about cuttlefish or any ceph for that matter to identify it. but they wanted $150.00 for it. :shock::shock:it just looked sad back in the corner of it's little 5 gallon tank. :sad:

i did watch it change colors. lots of people walked by and had no idea what it was.

so if you are in the san diego area, Pet Kingdom has a cuttlefish.

although it's pretty sad, it seems like it's an "overpaying for a mercy mission" to pay $150 for a stressed adult animal that won't live very long, when several folks here are selling hatchlings or juveniles for a lot less, is not the best way to get a cuttle.

It's always sort of a sad tradeoff to consider whether it's better to reward a store by paying their high price in order to rescue an older animal that's been mistreated, which basically saves this animal, but rewards the shop.

That being said, I don't know for sure that I'd be that pragmatic if I had a tank prepared and an extra $150, particularly if I had looked the sad cuttle in its cute w-shaped eyes. :sad:

Yurei;115895 said:
Wow that is terrible. I think I'll avoid Pet Kingdom from now on (even though I've only been there like 3 times).

For what it's worth, even though I was fairly critical earlier, I think it's generally better to explain your concerns to the store than just boycott them... even if they notice that they have less customers (unlikely) if they don't know that people are upset with them about the cuttlefish, then not much is gained...

monty;115903 said:
For what it's worth, even though I was fairly critical earlier, I think it's generally better to explain your concerns to the store than just boycott them... even if they notice that they have less customers (unlikely) if they don't know that people are upset with them about the cuttlefish, then not much is gained...

Good idea!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back