Polyphemus

So, here we go. Octopus #3 has been dubbed "Polyphemus" due to its eye problem. :cyclops:

Polyphemus has some issues. Left eye is solid white, and the has zero vision with it. Also, several arm tips appear damaged, but possiblly regenerated as they lack much pigmentation. Only about half a centimeter of each arm appears this way, but third right arm is constantly held coiled and hidden, and appears to be missing a centimeter or two.

Polyphemus is also a Caribbean Two-Spot, like Tuvalu, but considerably larger. Personality wise, this one isn't as interested in me as Tuvalu, and does not accept thawed silversides, nor does it cling to my fingers when I try to touch it. However it does not flee from my hands presence.

I'm trying to not compare this one to Tuvalu, as she was definitely my expectation of a "perfect" pet octopus.

On a side note, the Bahama Star is banished to my refugium temporarily. Its exhile is postponed until tomorrow when I go to buy some water and antibiotics.

Hey, sorry my PMs won't go through to you anymore for some reason. I had a nice long one typed out, then it didn't work so I clipboarded it, and then copied something else like I knew I would.

Sorry to hear of your octo's conditions. The 3rd right arm being curled up is normal; Polyphemus is a boy. Kaleidoscope always has that arm curled. Because he is hurt he is probably more skiddish than Tuvalu. It would be interesting to find out how all of the other SWF octos are doing.

shipposhack;100382 said:
Hey, sorry my PMs won't go through to you anymore for some reason. I had a nice long one typed out, then it didn't work so I clipboarded it, and then copied something else like I knew I would.

Sorry to hear of your octo's conditions. The 3rd right arm being curled up is normal; Polyphemus is a boy. Kaleidoscope always has that arm curled. Because he is hurt he is probably more skiddish than Tuvalu. It would be interesting to find out how all of the other SWF octos are doing.

Cool, glad to know it's a "man" thing then.

I imagine the issues do effect it's desire to mingle, or rather not mingle with me.

Well, got home about 10 minutes ago. Polyphemus is on the back glass, very pale, and arms are barely holding onto the glass, most of them are corkscrewed... *sigh*.

I don't think of myself as a pessimist, more like a reallist. This is exactly what Einy looked like the night before he passed.

Okaaaaay...

Now he's acting completely normal. Flashing colors, changing texture, and climbing around the bottom of the tank with no corkscrewed arms, except his 3rd right arm.

However, the white eyeball... it's gone. No eyeball in that socket, just a hole.

Going to do 15% water change.

AM,
Where did you get the "dime" sized fiddlers? I am looking for some very small ones to try on my little guy. I wrote Paul earlier in the week but have not heard back to see if he had any little ones.

dwhatley;100409 said:
AM,
Where did you get the "dime" sized fiddlers? I am looking for some very small ones to try on my little guy. I wrote Paul earlier in the week but have not heard back to see if he had any little ones.

aquaculturestore.com

All but maybe 3 or 4 out of 20 are tiny.

I ordered some from Paul (aquaculturestore) with a note to send small ones so I hope he still has the small size. I also ordered a "Hog Choaker" from the FW vert menu as they will go salt or fresh and the one I got from him several months ago is really neat in our nano - they look like tiny flounders!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back