Plz ID before I release him!

ccopelin

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I would like an ID fast before I put him in his new home. A friend that owns a LFS got 2 the other day and they are both definetly different so if I dont like your answer i can go swap. :wink: Its goin in a 50 gallon in wall cube that just lost its owner, Rowdy our beloved cuttle RIP.

Attachments

• conv_304434.jpg
    conv_304434.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • conv_304435.jpg
    conv_304435.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139
  • conv_304436.jpg
    conv_304436.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
Someone on here said they kept a small group of them in a 15' diameter cylinder tank. This tank will be 15' x 15' and floor to ceiling with about 4' of water. I'm not sure about their biting tendancies.

Upvote 0
We should have it built before the end of next year if everything goes according to plan. I'm hoping to live near Port A. so that I may stock it with things I collect from the ocean. It will also make live food easier.

Upvote 0
Zero webbing and zig zagged suckers if that helps. He is a real pig and snatches food from my hand. He is floating in a small cricket box and hides all day except when i offer food. He does roam around his little enclosure at night. Does this mean he is nocturnal or could it be he just feels safer in the dark since hes floating out in the open all day?

Upvote 0
Most dwarfs are nocturnal. You should provide all octos with a safe dark den, even in a critter keeper.

I wish I could find a local vendor that has one as I would like to keep another type of dwarf.

Upvote 0
Its not really purple like it appears in the vid. It is a spot though. It being quit off center made me think it is not a normal spot but a past ingery? If he is nocturnal can anyone recommend a source of nice red lighting? Blue moons dont work? Can anyone give me a link to O. Bocki info? I will post more pics as he grows a bit so we can be more sure of what he is. Also I live in northern indiana and my friend has 3 just like this guy for sale and 2 that are defiantly different. 3 types for sure if anyone is interested. I will get pics of those. I have a system of 3 300gal tubs with acrylic windows and it would be fun to have a large octo in one. Right now one is a aiptasia culture because I breed and sell berghia to many shops around me, one has my green moray and banggai breeders, and one is live rock. More tubs getting added in a week or 2 and got a new lil skimmer :wink:

Attachments

• conv_297965.jpg
    conv_297965.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
Upvote 0
O.bocki is a dwarf so you won't likely see much growth. According to my trusty Cephalopods A world Guide max mantle is about 3/4 of an inch with arms about 3 inches long and my guess from your photo would be that this one is likely an adult. There is a new member on one of my local reef forums that has spotted an octo at a LFS that I want to find to see if they may also have this species since Roy has noticed a recent abundance :sagrin:. It just so happens that I have an empty dwarf tank (that I was supposed to shut down when we set up Monty's tank :roll:).

Upvote 0
Red lights are not needed . I have a nocturnal under white/blue LED's and he loves them. I'm still trying to understand the desire to keep dwarfs. The bigger the better I always say.

Upvote 0
Red lights are not needed . I have a nocturnal under white/blue LED's and he loves them. I'm still trying to understand the desire to keep dwarfs. The bigger the better I always say.

Not true, As Roy mentioned once, the Blue LEDs are NOT good for nocturnal octopuses because that spectrum of blue is what they see as daylight and to them they appear much brighter. For a true nocturnal species Red is the way to go. My crepectular octopus and my dirunal octopuses have all enjoyed the blue light as well. My noctural octopuses, Mercs and a Macropus. will not even remove the door to there den if I use blue LEDs

Upvote 0
ccopelin,
You very best possible ID is the one from Neogonodactylus, hands down. He has worked with O.bocki (and I suspect has some in the lab now since he mentioned that they are currently heavily imported) and is a dwarf species expert (see staff bio). If you don't want a dwarf and have the opportunity to switch this would be the time to do so.

Now, if I could just source a young one locally for my dwarf tank ... :biggrin2:

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back