Plz ID before I release him!

ccopelin

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I would like an ID fast before I put him in his new home. A friend that owns a LFS got 2 the other day and they are both definetly different so if I dont like your answer i can go swap. :wink: Its goin in a 50 gallon in wall cube that just lost its owner, Rowdy our beloved cuttle RIP.

Attachments

• conv_304434.jpg
    conv_304434.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • conv_304435.jpg
    conv_304435.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139
  • conv_304436.jpg
    conv_304436.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
He is floating in a real small cricket container if you need a pic from a different angle. Between his eyes and back a bit is a faint white spot about the size of one of his eyes.
Thanks!
CC

Upvote 0
Hmmm... I cant tell. Part of me (a very small part) wants to say small vulgaris that could just be wishful thinking but I can not say if he is for sure. If it is vulgaris a 50 will not be big enough.

Wait you said hes in a very small critter keeper... if so then this is a dwarf merc probably. They are very nocturnal and will only be seen at night with a red light... geeze I am no help at all lol.

How big is he? Using fruit to describe can be helpful.

Do you know where he came from (which body of water?)

If you want a larger octopus and this is a merc then I would return it and get the other one (depending on what it is)

Upvote 0
I would have to put my money on O. Vulgaris, and if that's the case then your 50 gallon cube will be too small. Pictures of the other octopus still at the store will be helpfull as well to determin which animal would be best for you.

Upvote 0
Any idea what body of water it called home? IMO not mercatoris. The eyes favor a vulgaris but I am not comfortable with that as an ID and I am curious about the buldge on the lower part of the mantle.

Upvote 0
DWhatley;173419 said:
Any idea what body of water it called home? IMO not mercatoris. The eyes favor a vulgaris but I am not comfortable with that as an ID and I am curious about the buldge on the lower part of the mantle.

Yes thats what I was wondering about. This octo looks very vulgaris to me... a baby even. The 50 would be ok for a while but you will need a 150+ tank and 250 is ideal.

Upvote 0
skywindsurfer;173417 said:
I would have to put my money on O. Vulgaris, and if that's the case then your 50 gallon cube will be too small. Pictures of the other octopus still at the store will be helpfull as well to determin which animal would be best for you.

I agree with this. Pics of the other one will help with guidance

Upvote 0
Hmm, interesting looking fellow. I'm going to hold off on guessing till I see more pics.

If you could get some with a little better lighting that would be good, camera flash. or I use a LED flashlight that seems to help brig out the colors and textures a little better.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back