• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

please help me figure this one out. What is it?

Ahhh...The old "headbob"!!!! All my bimacs loved this game! I think they are mimicing us, or getting a kick out of making us do it!!!

He's really cute! Did you ever figure out what kind? Reminds me of a Vulgaris.

Carol

My bimac did head bobbing too, as did several other bimacs at the time. I always thought it was a kind of greeting, like turning lighter when I approached.

As for food on the feeding stick, it should be room temperature. Not too big a piece - better to feed a couple of small ones rather than one large piece. It might be that he was not hungry or didn't like what you were offering. It takes some practice to get the feeding stick thing going.

Slimer is so photogenic - I like the way he seems to "walk" on his arms.

Nancy

Hello Everyone,

Slimer says Hi to everyone. Hes so active.

Hi Carol,

I'm not totally sure but I think Slimer is a aculeatus. That is the best can come up with. I checked alot of info on the net. Everyone here also contributed to the quest to figure it out. So i'm just going to go with that species for now. It all makes since. Long legs, Size, Water Conditions it likes, and Lighting. This is the strangest Octo I have ever seen. It is only active when the light is on. As soon as the light goes off or the water gets too cold it turns all white and balls up. My old Octo I had years ago was totally opposite. It only came out at night, I couldnt keep the water cold enough for it.

Slimer is a nice and easy very active species.

Hi Nancy,

Awww :oops: Slimer usually doesnt mind the camera except when hes doing the cool headbobing thing. Slimer does it weird. I have seen them bob up and down like a lizard before. But I have never seen one do it Side to Side. Thats how Slimer Does It. So weird and Funny. I have been trying to catch it on video with out sucess. I think its cause Slimer id looking at my face when It does it. So the camera might look weird to Slimer?

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one doing it back. LoL. I was all getting in to it yeaterday. I actually started it. Then Slimer came over to the glass and got all stripped out and did it back. We went on like this for a couple of minutes then I noticed my roommate walking thew the room. He was all like what the? It was funny. Ofcourse hi didnt believe me that Slimer was doing it. LoL. Thinks I'm crazy now.

FOOD STICK:

I'm going to hold off on the feeding stick for a week or two. Slimers only been in there for 3 weeks now so It's still getting used to things. I have it eating red claw crabs. I have to fix the claws :goofysca: Dont like that part. But I got to do it just in case. But as soon as Slimer sees one. bam its over. Slimer has only eaten one crab at the dens entrance. Usually goes to the top of the rocks to eat. Then like a hour later Slimer takes all the body parts and dumps them on the far side of the tank. As far from the den as possable. Such strange behaiver.

Slimer is usually only out between 5:00PM and 12:30AM
My lights come on at 11:00AM and go off at 1:00AM

So maybe I can get some new pics today.

Hey this goes out to everyone.

Thanks for all the Ceph Help. This is the best place to find info on care.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back