• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Planned Power Outage

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I know I've asked this before, but I just came home to a notice from our lovely electric company, of all dates to pick, Sept 11 between the hours of 12am and 6am, planned power outage while they change something they think needs changing. How long are my tanks ok without? Do you think a computer power backup would work on Inks tank??? He's the only one I'm really concerned with.

:yuck: and I think they're :evil:

Carol

I have 2 computer backups and each one only goes for about ten minutes so I doubt that would work but I think Ink would be okay for 6 hours as long as your run every thing right before the outage.

Tell me if Im incorrect in any information!

Jesse

You can get battery operated bubblers, not good in a ceph tank BUT you could have a bucket of seawater being aerated and then do a water change, making sure all bubbles are gone of course :biggrin2:

Some pet shops carry these bubblers but if they don''t then try hunting/fishing stores as they're often sold for bait buckets.

Good luck and let us know how it goes with Ink

Cheers

J

It might be an idea to spend the day or two before cooling Ink down for that night... EG start putting bags of ice into the tank and cooling down the water to perhaps the low sixties so that during the night the octopus's metabolism will have slowed down and wont have such a demand on the O2 of the tank....

Also... if you have access to a back up supply would be worth keeping the filter going above all else...

Hi Carol and everyone,

These power outages are certainly a problem. So far we've had very few in Texas, but I think it's a good idea to have an emergency plan.

I have a catalog with some electronic power supplies, 300W for about $150. I need to find out more about this, but it might be a good thing to have and is cheaper than a generator that runs on propane. My main system pump is ony 45 watts, so it should run a long time on a generator like this. I need to contact the manufacturer for more info, but I'll let you know. (It's in a catalog of forestry products, of all things!).

I've also wondered whether if I poured my salt water into one gallon containters, so that I could shake the water and add lots of air, whether 1 gallon water changes every hour would help.

I wonder whether you'll be up most of the night checking on Ink. Wish both of you all the best.

Nancy

Well... Power went off at midnight and came back on at 4:30. Ink disapeared. I didn't want to freak him with the flashlight so I left him alone. Tried to get my battery operated airpump to pump the charcoal bubble filter, but it wasn't pushing enough air so I just left him alone. When the power came back on he was on the side wall watching for about 20 minutes and now is out hunting.. Let me know about that power source!
Think with how many times, the power does go off around here, may be a very good idea. I didn't get around to trying to cool down the tank. I did leave the air on high all day which did drop the temp a few degrees.

So far soooo good! :biggrin2:

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back