Photos of my Bimac

He's very nice! Looks mischevous! What is his name? I have this thing where I refer to all octo's as males till they lay eggs!!! Guess it's wishful thinking!!! :smile:

Carol

It's a very curious one that's for sure :smile: . I didn't name him because well.. it has no ears :lol: He loves to check out everything though. The moment the flash went off he was all over the camera. I hand feed him and it has yet to bite me, does like to hold on though while I drag him thru the water.

Love the photos! On the last photo, the one where he is reaching out towards the camera, you can clearly see two little bumps raised above his eyes. My Octopus has these too. What are they?

I've been told my octo is a horridus. When he looks at me he bobs his head up and down. When he bobs his head down, these two little bumps are raised above his eyes.

Is this used for communication, or is it an involuntary muscle reflex :?:

Rgds,
Cmakki

Many octopuses raise flaps of skin on various parts of their bodies, many do it to look like sea weeds and other marine objects... Its just one of the range of things they do to keep them safe when they are looking at something that is potentially big enough to eat them.

Hi Cmakki,

A number of us who have bimacs noticed the head bobbing even in young octopuses. My octo does this when he first sees me in the morning. Try bobbing your head in reply when you see this behavior, it does seem to be a form of recognition or saying hello.

Nancy

Owls use a movement of the head called 'parallax effect' to take a look at an object from two slightly different views, this then allows them to get an accurate idea of how far away an object is from them..

perhaps the octos are just doing the same thing???

yeah my little one does this same thing 8) . We call it hide-n-seek :P cause he does it from behind a LR. Kinda funny, but it is every morning before work and evening when we get home. I like to think he is communicating with us :P saying howdy :smile:

cmakki said:
Love the photos! On the last photo, the one where he is reaching out towards the camera, you can clearly see two little bumps raised above his eyes. My Octopus has these too. What are they?

I've been told my octo is a horridus. When he looks at me he bobs his head up and down. When he bobs his head down, these two little bumps are raised above his eyes.

Is this used for communication, or is it an involuntary muscle reflex :?:

Rgds,
Cmakki

umm, the two bumps above the eyes can mean various things for octopus, but we humans dont know the octopus langauge too much yet.
It's also one of the things octopus use to camelflauge, cause they can change the color and TEXTURE of there skin to make it look bumpy, lumpy, smooth, or rough.

I may be wrong but the cells they use to change there appearance and textur of there skin is the "Lucophore" or something.

yep you are wrong :P

the flaps are called papillae and the leucophores are one of the cells that reflect colour along with chromatophores and iridophores :smile:

Colin said:
yep you are wrong :P

the flaps are called papillae and the leucophores are one of the cells that reflect colour along with chromatophores and iridophores :smile:

Oh yea thats right, the Leucophores has to do with color change and pigments.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back