• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

pH too high, nothing working

NSW? Thats debatable, even more so because you don't have corals.
Where do you live, and what is the water you would be collecting near?

i live south of the kennedy space center and the water would be just beach-collected waterfrom tide pools, i guess. the only things near it are houses (about 40ft away during low tide)

Tide pool water is prolly not very good. Most suggest collecting water by boat out where it is running clear. YMMV.
I don't think it would be beneficial for you at all, unless you have determined you actually have a problem.

I have been using a "saltwater liquid master test kit" from thatpetplace.com the nsw I use comes from a coastal marine lab on the gulf of maine.

I doubt that adding natural seawater is going to help your predicament at all. First, we need to figure out exactly what the problem is, ie: salinity? phosphates? infection?
There are too many variables right now...it actually sounds as if the buffers have collided, and the tank is ready to precipitate out.

Wow. Yeah. I can't believe that you were putting PH Down and not Up? I wouldn't trust any tank that once had freshwater. I find it too risky.

I think that octopus hardyness varies. Some octopus can overcome anything in the tank--like mine--who doesn't seem bothered by a change. Others can be very delicate to any fluctuation like our first octopus that died.

I think the damsels died from being exposed to a new environment: the tank. My damsels survive through any change and I don't know why I keep getting these hardy pets.

I agree with the people above. Don't read those PH tests--most of them lie to you and are a waste of money! I also wouldn't trust thatpetplace.com they seem very shady about their products and lack general information..unless that's changed?

We thought we had a PH problem too, but the octopus has been living a healthy hardy life for 4 months now without any change in temprament/behavior. We haven't added any other livestock to the tank--just him for now. We think it keeps the level stress free of any added toxins.

Good luck with your project! And never mind the due date, just make sure the little guy is ok! The octopus is more important than a grade!

A good reason for not using fresh seawater is that it contains a lot of phyto and zoo plankton which will die in your tank and cause an ammonia spike

Fresh seawater has to be well filtered before using in a tank

the tank never had freshwater in it, its always been a sw tank, just unused for a few years. well, everything has settled down chemical-wise, now i just cant get my hands on an octopus. i have an order at two lfs but they have yet to get my octo. its really frustrating. fair is feb 9th, and this project can help me get scholarships so i can go to a college i actually am interested in (my parents got florida prepaid when i was little, the problem is that i dont like any of the fl schools...)

You might try to think of a Plan B. Octopuses can be very hard to find in a short period of time. I waited over 18 months for the one I was looking for. If you get your octopus at an LFS it will probably be a recluse and/or nocturnal with weeks or months to live and wouldn't bode well for your project anyway.

Good luck,

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back