Penelope - O.Vulgaris

:cry: I so wish I had had time to route through Miami while I was in Tampa.

No, Dave I never hear from him again either and still have one preserved in only alcohol that I had forgotten about (as well as a bottle of hatchlings). Pen is so large that I would suggest preserving him as we get requests from kids from time to time (usually from their parents) when they have school projects and he is a nice size for school use. After Xmas, I will look at the large one to see if it is worth trying to put in formalin for a week but I suspect the hatchlings will be OK just in the alcohol. If you do, can you do a tape measure picture? It is helpful for measurements when people ask, "how big" and only at death can we lay them out and see true sizing.

Possible confirmation of Insularis ID

or maybe not ...

edit:
I think the description that describes the existence of ocelli is the general group labeled vulgaris. A later description says not ocelli in the insularis. :Hmm:

original post:
When Level_Head came up with the scientific paper on insularis I immediately went looking for one particular item :biggrin2: AND FOUND IT:

Mantle muscular, globose to
rounded ovoid; skin muscular and tight, without longitudinal
wrinkles or folds; skin with distinct patch and groove system
which appears as dark trellis or reticulate pattern; ocelli (false
eye spots) present in some species, often with complex blue iridescent
ring
;

I had guessed Penn might be this species since our vulgaris don't show eye spots and this at least confirms my guess is in-line with the description:razz:. Now to find Monty somewhere.

Now I am bummed out though because I think the description is for the vulgaris complex. I noted it as an amended description but I think the amendment was to the original vulgaris group and not insularis.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back