Pathological ammonites

I've never seen one of these before; a pathological belemnite. I'm afraid I have no details other than it originates from Germany.

Attachments

• conv_290702.jpg
    conv_290702.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 161
I wonder if it could be fungal? There is a fungus (or group of them) which attacks abalone. It severely weakens the adductor muscle, causes swelling and shell damage similar to the damage on that Nautilus shell, the inner nacreous layer gets dark chocolate brown lesions too. It has a pretty high mortality rate. (See REFRESH)

Just a thought!

J

Wow, that last one looks fungal -- any idea what the actual cause of death was?

Edit: Hah, you got there before me. It sure does look like a fungus, though, doesn't it? Especially the thickening with the brown lesions...I've seen that in gastropods before.

Pathologies or broken shell repair on a specimen of Girtyoceras sp. from the Mississippian Chainman Shale (Asbian). Top: broken shell repair. Middle: Bite mark or parasite? on venter. Bottom: lateral view of specimen (26mm dia.).

Attachments

• conv_297196.jpg
    conv_297196.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_297197.jpg
    conv_297197.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 172
  • conv_297198.jpg
    conv_297198.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 132
That is a plant root :oops:

The thing looked a little too fragile after my initial brushing so I just left it alone. The matrix that forms the internal mold is a soft phosphatic material, and the shell is attached to that, a little more cleaning could fowl the whole thing up. I'm afraid to put Vinac on because I don't find very many with the shell preserved so well, and the preservative may cover up some fine details.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back