• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Pajama squid

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I'm not sure that this guy qualifies as rare, but it is exotic. I've had this pajama squid (Sepioloidea lineolata)for three months. The only time I ever see him is during feedings. If it is really hungry, it will emerge from the sand, orient and strike, then rebury to eat the shrimp. Mostly it feeds at night. A shrimp goes in the dank at dusk, out comes an exoskeleton in the morning. I would also note that these guys are hard to photograph without a bunch of sand all over their dorsal surface. When they emerge from the sand to capture prey, they do so by coming slowly straight up so the sand stays on their back.

This shot is taken at the moment of contact when the tentacles strike out.

Roy

Attachments

• conv_305311.jpg
    conv_305311.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
DeepBlueWonders;192892 said:
How available is this species in the aquarium trade? Difficult to keep?

Almost never available. Very cool in pictures, much less cool in person most of the time. :GRIN:

We get Sepioloidea pacifica, have tried so hard to get that shot :green: recent bunch we had were observed mating and my camera was in my locker and by the time I had fetched it they were back under the sand :twisted:

Pajama squid funnel use while swimming and burying

Sepiolids have long funnels that are used not only for jetting, but also in burying behavior. The animals uses jets of water to excavate the substrate as it uses its fins to push down into the sand. Once partially buried, a few more blasts from the funnel pushes sand up around the body burying the pajama squid. Here the pajama squid jets into position and then extends the funnel in preparation to water blasting a pit. (I got the order of the images wrong.)

Roy

Attachments

• conv_300328.jpg
    conv_300328.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
  • conv_300329.jpg
    conv_300329.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 52

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back