[Squid]: Pacific Bobtail Squid

OK So I was out at the Aquarium today, and checked on the Bobs, we have about 6 left and the eggs look much the same as last week

Attachments

• conv_294230.jpg
    conv_294230.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 93
  • conv_294231.jpg
    conv_294231.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 96
Recent Pic of the eggs, still very opaque white. And a pic of the last adult (a rare active shot!) which passed away last week

J

Attachments

• conv_294286.jpg
    conv_294286.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • conv_294287.jpg
    conv_294287.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 99
How interesting! Bobtails are really cute - my 9yr old daughter just loves them and is constantly asking me if we can get one. My answer is always, 'uh...NO, not possible sweetheart.' Hmmm, I'm not sure if I should show her these pics. :hmm:

I think the main barrier is actually that they're not available in the pet trade. They're used in laboratory work a lot, actually. As squids go, they do OK in tanks, but from what I understand they are very nocturnal and not very interactive, so they're not too fun. And they bury themselves in the sand during the day.

Tommycs;138247 said:
I have never really read up too much on these interesting little squid, but why exactly can you not keep them?

I didn't think it was easy to keep squid. Don't they tend to be kinda skittish? Aside from that, where would I even get one?
And...well, my 135gal is reserved for the next octopus in my little aquatic world. I have a 55gal but it's occupied by my big 'ole lionfish and his friend, Lonnie the lawnmower blenny (yeah, they really are strange buddies) and I don't think any of those would make for good tank mates for a bobtail. I do still have one 55gal with just live rock in it but...back to my first concern. I don't even know that would be a good size tank. :confused:

yup, at least for Euprymna scolopes but it points down so I bet you don't see it often.

Well, I knew it would happen....as soon as my daughter saw the pics, "Can we please, please, PLEASE get one!!???" Arrg!

Although, after we went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium yesterday and saw the cuttlefish there, she seems to have fallen in love with them too.
Doggone it! I was planning on shutting down that extra tank. Say....anyone want a lionfish?:sly:

OK, I have to admit, I find both the Bobtail and cuttles not only cute but very interesting. I've just kept octos so it's a little unfamiliar. But is it even possible for a hobbyist to get a Bobtail and/or are they difficult to care for? Or even if it's possible to get Bobtails, would I be better off with cuttles?
Sorry for dumping this load of questions here - especially if it's not really the right place.

Because for the home aquarist, especially one with kids, they're a bit boring!!! During the day they spend all of their time buried to the eyeballs in sand! They only come out at night, usually well after dusk and are buried again long before sunup! These guys were more day active, but I put that down to them all being mature adults and they were following the breeding imperative.

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back