• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Pablo - O. Hummelincki First time First Octo

KA&KA

Cuttlefish
Registered
I understand and we can keeper her frozen for the time being! I will send a message when we get close to planning a trip. It will be to the zoo aquarium and to the beechwood farms nature center. You can either meet us or we can drop her off at some other convenient location.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Be sure and take photos of the meet and greet with hand off. We have mini-con threads in the TONMOcon forum :sagrin:

KA&KA

Cuttlefish
Registered
I want to introduce our 2nd octopus. We obtained it almost two months now. It was only a week after Pablo died when we were coming back from one of Kathy's gym meets through Lancaster and met this little guy. When we brought it home it was about the size of a thumb, body and legs gathered together. The ID was O. vulgaris (as was Pablo). I was planning to get some other creatures and start cycling a second aquarium but Kathy fell in love and she really wanted another live subject to continue work on her 8th grade graduation project.

The first couple days we could track where it was hiding and we could feed it by putting bits of shrimp near enough for it to grab. After the second day it disappeared for two solid weeks. That disappearance happened as I cause a bit of a disturbance capturing a blenny. (I had introduced it the previous week thinking we would do a community tank for a while.) In the two weeks of not knowing where the octopus was we introduced a number of small hermit crabs and snails.

After the 2nd week we decided to remove rocks one by one to see if we could find the octopus. But as soon as we started moving stuff Kaboodle started reaching out as if to say " I am over Here!" That was from inside a chamber within the bulkhead that sections off the plumbing for the sump. The openings are vertical slots about 3 mm wide and it crawled through that into the flow space. For Pablo we had blocked off the back side of this with filter sponge. So the space is confined to a narrow chamber within the bulkhead.

For the past six weeks we have been feeding Kaboodle (finally named after we were sure it was still with us) with shrimp on a feeding stick positioned just outside the slots and it always reaches out for the food. It will feed any time in the early to late evening while the lights are still on. We have not seen any disappearances among the snails and crabs we have put in and do not believe the octopus is ever coming completely out of the bulkhead.

Some people I have discussed this with bring up the fact that it could become stuck inside but I do not believe it is close to that size yet. I am not even sure it has grown much though it almost daily seems interested in food.

We check late at night sporadically with red LED lights but I think the tell tail sign that it is not coming out is that the crabs and snails are still there.

So it has yet to be determined is it a juvenile verse dwarf, nocturnal verses diurnal.

Any feedback is welcome and we will start posting updates from now on.

This first photo is just after we brought it home and the second is slotted opening to its chamber. You can seen tip of a leg wrapped around the feeding stick.

upload_2015-3-22_20-21-48.png

upload_2015-3-22_20-22-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-22_20-19-20.png
    upload_2015-3-22_20-19-20.png
    556.7 KB · Views: 91

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
LOL, Please consider starting a new journal for Kaboodle the O. briareus and I will move your first post.

I was lucky to raise two briareus from hatchlings. The male, Tatanka lived inside the return pipe for several months and I often found him in the overflow box (in his case, the box was only about 3" deep and had an access from the top so I could see him). The holes in the return pipe were smaller than an eraser head. His sibling (Mama Cass) lived in the filter sock for a week or more (lots of pods) after venturing into a different overflow and making the trip down to the sump. I would not worry at all about Kaboodle "getting stuck" but would worry about him/her going into the sump (not much you can do about it but keep an eye out and place a filter bag on the other end if you do not already have one). There are likely lots of pods going to the overflow so feeding is likely going well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak