• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ozone in cuttle tank

Ozone is generally thought pretty safe provided you have done your research. Also, a redox/orp meter is STRONGLY recommended to make sure that no residual ozone makes it to the display.
You will have to run the skimmer output through activated carbon as this helps remove O3. Also you need to make sure that the air output from the skimmer is vented or run through carbon too.

Special care is required with Venturi skimmers - "careful attention to the level of ozone and the rate at which the venturi skimmer operates can alleviate the potential risks." according to my 'oldskool' reef book. :biggrin2:

Ozone has gone a bit out of fashion in some reefing circles.It will also destroy any medications you add (note this probably doesnt matter for an invert like a cuttle).

Is there a reason why you are considering it? To me, it seems like a luxury,- not really required. The benefits arent overwhelming, and over here they cost around $700usd. For your money your water will be crystal clear, and it will improve your skimmer performace. It will also kill some bacteria in the water, but some parasites will still get through.

UV is another thing you could look into aswell, but for a cuttle tank they both seem a bit over the top, unless you are having specific problelms like agal bloom ect.

Feelers said:
Is there a reason why you are considering it? To me, it seems like a luxury,- not really required. The benefits arent overwhelming, and over here they cost around $700usd. For your money your water will be crystal clear, and it will improve your skimmer performace. It will also kill some bacteria in the water, but some parasites will still get through.

It sounds like a band-aid fix to me. If you're considering this, my opinion is you have a problem with your water and you should address it from the source

Dan

i need cuttle said:
Would it be possible or wise, to run an ozone generator in my cuttle tank, it would run it thorught my skimmer. have any of you done this before?

I run it in my reef, but not in my cuttle system.

Id hook up a phosphate reactor and/or a refugium. If you have room, you can make 2-5 gallon container of some sort into a fuge. If you keep it slightly higher then the tank, you wont even need an overflow, but just a powerhead pumping water from the main tank to it and it will trickle back to the main tank. You can also put the phosphate reactor somewhere in there also..

I used to have a horrendous algae problem. I dont get any nowadays since i took most my sandbed out, added a lot of flow, a fuge and phosphate reactor. I dont use any cleanup crews at all except a few snails. I prefer a simple setup instead of having a million animals to clean your tank. The clean up crew just ends up adding different waste into the water (poop) that adds to the algae problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back