• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Oysters for dinner?

Hello everyone,
I have a glut of live oysters in my fridge, and am probably not going to be able to eat them all myself (this statement gives a VERY false impression of my lifestyle!). Would it be safe to put a couple in with my Octopus, and would she be interested in (and capable of) eating them? They are farmed Atlantic (virginicas; 1-2 inches diameter) and kumomoto (sikamea; 0.5-1 inch diameter) oysters from Tomales bay (northern CA), and I have UV sterilization in my system to deal with any hitch-hikers. I thought this might be a treat for Moomin (1.5-2 inch mantle), but I will not do it if there is any doubt at all.
Cheers,
Lene.

I don't see any harm in trying. I would probably soak one oyster in salt water (the same as your tank), to flush out any pollutants/toxins and then place it in the tank with your octopus. You could open it first or just see if your octopus can open it. Some octopus eat mussels and scallops, so oysters aren't too far of a stretch. Oh, and don't leave it in the tank for too long (if your octopus hasn't eaten the opened one in a few hours or a day for the live, unopened one).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back