• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Oxygenation

b25oshea

Blue Ring
Registered
Posted: Jan 14, 2003 at 3: Post subject: Oxygen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am concerned about oxygenation for the tank. Will a Bak-pak 2 and a Magnum 250 supply enough oxygen, or will I have to use other forms of oxygen? If so, can two powerheads be used, and what kind? Or, will even the powerhead not supply enough oxygen? If so, what other forms, can be used?

Thank you,
Michael O’Shea

Many powerheads have venturis you can connect, which inject bubbles into the powerhead stream much like an airstone. I would think that if you needed extra oxygenation for sure, then these could provide it for you. Some people don't like having a lot of bubbles in the tank...I don't think there is any threat to an octo (is there?) but some don't like the aesthetics of bubbles clinging to lots of things. Try it and see.

Anyone know which powerheads are good for this? I'm using an "unidentified" one I got with my tank and a Powersweep, and both can do venturi. The powersweep annoys me a bit...its sweep function very quickly started to work poorly if at all, and judging by its noise level I think I need to tear it apart. I'd heard they weren't terribly reliable, but it was cheap online.

rusty

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back