• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

overflow/ refugium engineering

mazprot

Cuttlefish
Registered
I am in the process of building / finding and engineering a tank to keep an octopus. I was just wondering what the Tonmo community thought was the best way to build an overflow and/or refugium.

Personally I really like wet/dry filters and will be using one on my octo tank with an aquaripure (http://www.aquaripure.com/testimonials.htm?gclid=COG7ztvtwLMCFSHHtAodSHgAjw) nitrate/nitrite filter, and a protein skimmer built for bigger than my tank size (looking for a 65 tall or a 75 gallon), and lots of live rock and live sand for extra bio filtration.

I was thinking of putting some window screening over my overflow / powerheads in order to keep my octo's arms from getting hurt. Maybe some pantyhose? Or a hair net? I want something that wont necessarily block much flow but will be strong enough and small enough to keep the octopus from getting in there and playing around. I definitely dont want them getting hurt! Heater will be in the sump so there is no issue there with burning.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

Sounds like your on the right track!

Panty hose might be too fine and clog easily. regular plastic window screen works well, not too fine but fine enough to keep out curious creepers.

As per the overflow several of us have found that stuffing a course sponge in the overflow box/area worls well. It to keeps the octo out and works well as a good prefilter.

I've never had a nitrate/ite filter, but I can't see why it wouldn't hurt, but it is defiantly not necessary.

An alternate to screen where it will work is using filter media bags that zip. I use these around my Koralia's for the little guys. The bag, zipped tightly enough to secure it works well completely surrounding the Koralias but may or may not be secure for your use. Second the vote on course sponge in the overflow.

I think your right panty hose is a bit to fine. I have some window screen I think should do the trick. Probably jsut secure it with some tight rubber bands. I hadn't thought of the coarse sponge thats a great idea! I couldnt think of what to do and i didnt want the little guy taking a trip to the sump espcially since im going to have an open air sump so that the top of my tank doesnt necessarily need to much ventilation and therefor keeps my octo more secure in its tank. I really would like a tall 65 so I could keep the water well away from the top making escape more difficult.

I have some of those filter bags for doing my own carbon filters in my pumps, unfortunately mine only velcro shut so I might need to find some that zip to make them more secure.

A friend of mine has an aquaripure on a 75 gallon reef tank and he manages to get by (he doesnt have to many fish) with just lots of bivalves and a clean up crew and only does a water change every 2 months instead of 1. Its probably not going to be worth it for an octo tank just because cleaning is more of an issue.

thank you both of your help!

I just bought a new supply of the filter bags on eBay from this seller. I hate velcro for the aquarium as the backing eventually deteriorates but the aluminum (or plastic) zippers have no problem. The holes in this mesh is much larger than fiberglass screen (not sure about plastic screen) and does not block nearly as quickly. I currently have mostly black bags but would recommend (and bought) white for filtration but black is esthetically a better choice.

I have just completed my Bean Animal overflow with coast to coast weir. Like D suggested I also bought those very same bags to cover all 3 of my overflow drains. I dont think I will need to run a powerhead with the amount of flow I have but if I do those bags will fit nicely over it. You can ziptie those too pretty much anything.

DWhatley;194133 said:
I just bought a new supply of the filter bags on eBay from this seller. I hate velcro for the aquarium as the backing eventually deteriorates but the aluminum (or plastic) zippers have no problem. The holes in this mesh is much larger than fiberglass screen (not sure about plastic screen) and does not block nearly as quickly. I currently have mostly black bags but would recommend (and bought) white for filtration but black is esthetically a better choice.

Thank you D! I will be ordering some of these definitely. The bags I have are a much finer screen and I am with you in not liking velcro in my aquariums. Unfortunately my LFS only had the velcro ones and I was in a pinch to get some for new carbon bags so I got those instead. I probably prefer black also but decisions, decisions....

If you are placing them in a filter sock, get the white. The white shows the dirt much better when you are rinsing the carbon and you will not see it in a filter sock. For covering inlets, get the black. It is not as important to see the dirt when used as a blocking device. They are cheap enough to order some of each.

LOL, I tried just about every bag on the market and once I tried these I put up my OLD ones for "when in need" use and used the new ones. I keep two charcoal bags (at least) for each tank and swap them out on tank maintenance day so that I don't have to rinse them immediately. One reason I ordered the white ones was to know which charcoal I have replaced and which ones need replacing as I did not really need new :roll: (we need a lazy smiley :biggrin2:).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back