• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Overflow box or Bulkhead w/strainer?

bassman

Blue Ring
Registered
I am in the planning stages of building a new octopus tank. I am uncertain as to whether I should incorporate an overflow box on the back of the tank with slits built into the rear tank wall to feed it or just use a 1.5" bulkhead with a strainer on it instead.

I currently run two tanks (20 gal) off the side of my sump using bulkheads with strainers and they seem to work fine.

Is there any reason a overflow box would work better that I am unware of?

Thanks.

An overflow box would give you a bit more surface water going in (which is a good thing, especially if it was a reef), but on the other hand is generally more difficult to octo-proof. If you've had good luck with lonely bulkheads there's no harm in sticking with it in the new tank. There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple.

Here's pictures of my overflow. As you can see I went the route of putting slits in the wall. I did this primarily because I like to to tinker: I like it, but I wouldn't recommend it to others unless they get as much joy as I do grinding glass with a Dremel tool for 9 hours :smile:

75gallontankslots2.jpg

75gallontankoverflow2.jpg

75gallontankoverflow1.jpg

Thanks for the reply and the pics. I actually envisioned having to make the overflow box exactly the way you have. I am one for tinkering and DIY projects but I think in this case the bulkhead will work just as well and be much easier to incorporate.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back