• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Our octo fiasco, please help!

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
joshsaul said:
OK, it looks like he ate the fiddler from last night. How should I proceed with feeding him? We were trying to save food until he actually came out a bit, but if he is sick or stressed I would just rather have him eating something.

Should I put a new crab in once he eats the old one?
Hi josh

I normally always wait until the octo is out and hunting before i put food in. I found this to be the easiest way to be associated with food and therefore a good thing:smile:

Maybe at first keep putting an item of food in every day or two, until it settles a bit better

good luck
C

joshsaul

Cuttlefish
Registered
Well, I am glad to report that he seems to be doing a lot better. We haven't really seen him too much, but no more inking and he is definately eating the fiddlers.

As far as variety, we did give him a crayfish at one point. I think he liked it but that was around the same time that he stopped coming out.

We are going away on vacation tomorrow (Costa Rica!) and we bought 20 ghost shrimp and one fiddler for him to eat over the next week. We have someone who is watching our cats that will be doing the feeding.

Thanks for everyone's help! I hope he starts coming out a bit more in the new year.

-Josh

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellvn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak