Otto - A. Aculeatus

Jabba954

GPO
Registered
So, this is my third attempt at octopus keeping. The first was not really an attempt at keeping an octo - it was an attempt at getting my horn shark to eat (it did). Second time around was a pair of dwarf octos, they lasted ~5 months, but were VERY reclusive. Now for round three.

Otto was purchased from LiveAquaria. He is almost certainly A. Aculeatus, based on the descriptions I've heard here - notably the star pattern around the eyes. I suspect he's full grown, as his mantle is ~1.5" and arm length is ~5-6". So far he's a bit shy, so I haven't gotten many pics, but he is eating. I added 10 hermit crabs to his enclosure on day one, and he's devoured 8 of them so far (including throwing a shell at me this morning).

His "tank" is a 10 gallon critter keeper suspended in my 2000 gallon tank, and he'll be moving into a more permanent home this weekend (85 gallon tank designed specifically for an octo).

Attachments

• conv_304291.jpg
    conv_304291.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 94
  • conv_304292.jpg
    conv_304292.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 102
  • conv_304293.jpg
    conv_304293.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_304294.jpg
    conv_304294.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 118
Mantle is 1.5-2", arms are 6-8". He definitely exhibits the horns of Aculeatus too. Very prominent last night.

Otto may not be long for this world - plenty of eggs were laid in the past few days. While doing a water change, I accidentally knocked over a rock, which was apparently the cover to her den. I took a few pics before replacing... Any idea what gestation time is?

Attachments

• conv_297055.jpg
    conv_297055.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
  • conv_297056.jpg
    conv_297056.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 109
  • conv_297057.jpg
    conv_297057.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
Unfortunately, the small egg species (excluding the GPO) seem to have very short gestation and ten days to 2 weeks seems to be the norm.

The eggs never hatched - just sort of crumpled - went from grapes to raisins, so to speak.

Otto has been ultra reclusive - though she's still eating every day, but far less than before. :~(> She's on her way out.

Interesting that she has continued to eat. Trapper (O. mercatoris) ate for about half her brooding cycle and then would take Cyclop-eeze after the hatching (not conjecture as I could feed her with a pipette and have a video) her daughter, however stopped eating much sooner and could not be coaxed to accept the Cyclop-eeze. At the time I began to suspect that perhaps the buccal muscle weakens and normal food is too difficult to bite. Reading the paper I posted about their poison gland and digestion brings a new thought about a possible failure to produce the predigestive poisons. It would be interesting to see if she would take Cyclop-eeze offered similarly. Trapper lived 11 weeks post hatch but none of my other females of any species approached that kind of post brood longevity.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back