• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Other Minds by Peter Godfrey-Smith

Has anyone read this book by chance? I found out about it a couple of weeks ago and finished my copy recently. I thought it was really fascinating and reminds me how much there is to be gained by bridging sciences even when we're looking at seemingly unrelated phenomena. Curious to know others' thoughts!

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Embarrassingly, I don't own this book, but I need to change that.

Peter Godfrey-Smith is a TONMO member (@pgs) although he hasn't been around in a while. He has spoken at two prior TONMOCON events (once in person)
(...I'm nudging him about the next one... :heee: )
... he famously found out about octopuses living in groups in this thread, right here on our site:

Embarrassingly, I don't own this book, but I need to change that.

Peter Godfrey-Smith is a TONMO member (@pgs) although he hasn't been around in a while. He has spoken at two prior TONMOCON events (once in person)
(...I'm nudging him about the next one... :heee: )
... he famously found out about octopuses living in groups in this thread, right here on our site:
good to know this is
the forum he mentions in the book, I was wondering LOL

If you like thinking about physics in biology, then From Eternity to Here is a really interesting book on time and the universe I also found accessible and important in understanding concepts in particle physics that affect all levels of biology as well. And if you like cephalopods/Other Minds and science fiction then Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood collection is an amazing trio of "humans meet aliens" novels.

It's so rare to find things you can really recommend with your whole chest so sorry if I'm a bit over-zealous with the suggestions :old:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ege010

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak