• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Osgood

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
AM, glad you're back, we have missed you.

Also very glad for the measurements. It is particularly helpful since the numbers fall in line with but would be slightly less than Norman (assuming larger in life 4-4.5 inches seems appropriate). I have been thinking the sizes are overstated in Norman for what we see in the aquarium. Could you post that on Kalypso's journal so we can find it again? I wish I had done that with my others and will make a point to now. I have asked for OhToo's body to be measured but I think they forgot. Hopefully they will be at TONMOCON and I can rerequest the numbers.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
couple of pics

Here are a couple more photos of Osgood. The one is of her farther out of her den, she's slowly becoming more interested in watching the rest of us.

The one shot is the bottom of the tank taken from inside the stand- a totally different view of her den but kind of fun. The mug was a gift- it says "mellow cup," which is kind of fitting. I loved to read about Kalypso's antics, but this girl has a much more laid back approach. She did touch the front glass with one arm this morning as I was admiring her, like maybe I'm o.k. after all...

Attachments

• conv_294196.jpg
    conv_294196.jpg
    878.1 KB · Views: 75
  • conv_294197.jpg
    conv_294197.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 91

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Entropy Happens...

... and that's my only excuse. A week after the last post on Osgood she died. After she left the coffee mug she wandered around the tank for the rest of that week, never to return to the den she hardly left. She became interested and interactive but it was still obvious that something was just "off." Even my husband mentioned it. I really think that she had been removed from a den with eggs and slowly died once she got here.

She died the morning before the last Stanley Cup play-off game with Chicago. We were fortunate enough to have front row seats to that game, right behind the net minder, Osgood, himself. It crossed my mind that that the MOST HONORABLE was for a Detroit octopus to go out would be on the ice at a play off game between 2 "original six" teams, but I couldn't bring myself to boil her first. That and even if I'd managed to get her over the safety glass (not likely), we'd get thrown out of the game.

As it was we ended up sitting next to Kid Rock. My 8 yr old girl took one look at him and didn't believe he was famous. She turned to him and asked him if he knew Dave Grohl (Nirvana and Foo Fighters). When he told her yes, she asked if he know Geddy Lee (Rush). He said no but pulled up a pic of himself with Dave on his cell phone. They were buddies for the rest of the game!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Scandalous thinking there Ms. Missing Person :wink:

Glad to know you have not been eaten by the Airdale!