Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

Caveat: I grew up in the backwoods of nowhere; some slow moving varmit challenges a 10 year old with slingshot? Need I say more. I can't explain the dogs stupidity???

I'll bet your mother was very happy with you! Now that I know it's mating season I'll be more watchful, and buttermilk doesn't work either.

DSCN4460.JPG DSCN4462.JPG DSCN4460.JPG Hello all, this may be clear to Kevin, but it has me stumped. It's either a Cephalopod or a Trilobite. From the Lebanon Limestone and about 6cm. x 3.5. I had to bump the color up on the top view (various shades of grey). So am I seeing chambers or axial rings? On the end view, siphuncle or hypostoma? I hope you
can see enough detail.

:oops: The text was meant to come before the pictures and one of them posted twice. I hope the thumbnails will enlararge .

See 2013 Forum Tips and Tricks - New Xenfro Bulletin Board at the top of the Octopus' Den forum for more than you ever wanted to know about inserting pictures, editing and formatting. Let me know if my tome left off anything critical :roll:. I would make the changes for you but I am curious to see if my evening's work provides the needed information in a comprehensive format :sly:

I knew the "tips and tricks" were somewhere, I couldn't find it. Thanks for the link! I may have to wait until morning but I'll give it a shot!

Actually, I only posted it last night for the new forum :oops: so you are off the hook.

I found Kevin's "smokin" blog and will get with Tony after his vacation to have him convert it to an article but I think you are looking for a different one. If you could give me some key words, I may at least be able to find it to pass on to Tony.

Your right D it's a different one, I cannot seem to remember the title but maybe: "The Morphology of Fossil Cephalopods." :oops: I referred to that a lot!! Kevin will know, this one was in the "Articles" section.

Looks like Gonioceras again, or a weathered orthocone... either way it is a weathered phragmocone, at least that's what it looks like in the plan view. The end view shows the septal neck very plainly, round and a little darker(?) than the septa in end view. This view shows well where the siphuncle would have penetrated the septa. :smile: The portion of a brachiopod shell just to the right of the round septal neck shows that the upper(?) part of the phragmocone was weathered or eroded away prior to fossilization or diagenisis.

A pdf of Fossil Shell Morphology Or The Terminology used in the Description of Externally Shelled Cephalopods (Nautiloids and Ammonoids) is attached. It should have the TONMO logo on it somewhere to be legit, and it is not formatted very well, so I will probably delete it from this thread in a day or two.

Attachments

• Morphology of Fossil Cephalopod Shells.pdf
    471.9 KB · Views: 898
Cool! Thanks Kevin, yes the septal neck is round and darker. The Gonioceras must have hung out together in that section of the quarry, same little area where the other bits and pieces of Gonioceras were found.:cool2:

I've got to get back out there soon my rocks are very quickly becoming buried by very yucky, sticky red clay.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back