Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

Terri;196641 said:
Odontopleurids are known from the middle Ordovician?

Yes, they evolved in the Middle Cambrian and died out in the Devonian extinction event(as did all trilobite orders except the proetids). I have found Primaspis and Acidaspis from my local Shermanian(Mid Ord) and Edenian(Late Ord) rocks.

I found this little bit of a phragmocone in the same outcrop of the Ridley Limestone that I found the Trilobite...

Attachments

• conv_300788.jpg
    conv_300788.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
  • conv_300789.jpg
    conv_300789.jpg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 163
  • conv_300790.jpg
    conv_300790.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
  • conv_300791.jpg
    conv_300791.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 183
So I've convinced my dog to take care of his umm, responsibilities :roll: around an area where the Ridley crops out down the street from my house. I get to look at rocks while he's sniffing around, along with the little out crop in my yard I get a little mini-hunt most days. All of the fossils from the Ridley in this thread have been found here, the first 5 in this thread and a few others scattered throughout the thread.

Well we set out for our walk yesterday and I caught the faint scent of a skunk, kept on walking, the wind was blowing right towards us and the next whiff stopped me in my tracks so I knew there was one close by. It was about ten feet in front of us and I kid you not it was an orangish color with a white stripe and few spots of black. I had my camera but thought it wise to turn and run home! When I got there I jumped in the car hoping it was still there to get pics. it was and that's when I realized the thing was probably rabid, it would kind of waddle a few steps then kind of flop around, it was strange. It was headed away from me and I got a couple of very bad shots.

Anway... my whole point in telling the story is that I was going back to take better pics. of the fossils I'm going to post, so excuse the pics. and i won't be able to go back until I can get the appropriate authorities out here to take care of the poor thing.:talker:

Attachments

• conv_300808.jpg
    conv_300808.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
  • conv_300809.jpg
    conv_300809.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • conv_300810.jpg
    conv_300810.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
Another orthocone Kevin, from the same outcrop. You can see a bit of the siphuncle on the left..

Attachments

• conv_300811.jpg
    conv_300811.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 134
I'll bet that was a beautiful animal. So sad that it is ill and I hope you are wrong about what is ailing it. There is a relatively new cousin to rabies that is concerning the people in AU. There have only been 3 cases but the thing is a monster (carried by the bats). There is an inoculation but it does not show up for a long period (several months in at least one case) and then is fatal. We learned a little about it when I wanted to see the fruit bats and was able to see a rescued orphan being fed (in my FB photo album log and on Facebook). I was not allowed to touch even the baby and the handler was required to have the inoculation.

Cool fossil too :biggrin2:

I can't tell what that V shaped thing on the left is.

Me either, one of the pics. I'll retake when I'm sure that skunk isn't hanging around my outcrop! Really have to look but there appears to be ribs(?), septa(?). I don't know, it's curious though.

I'll bet that was a beautiful animal.

Kind of hard to tell the way it was flopping, and rolling around! I called the county who directed me to the TWRA (I thought you were supposed to report rabid animals). The response I got was "Your more than welcome to shoot it." I'm just hoping he'll ramble on off into the woods and stay there. :goofysca:

Terri;196903 said:
Kind of hard to tell the way it was flopping, and rolling around! I called the county who directed me to the TWRA (I thought you were supposed to report rabid animals). The response I got was "Your more than welcome to shoot it." I'm just hoping he'll ramble on off into the woods and stay there. :goofysca:

Hi Terry, if it was flopping and rolling around, this time of year, it could've been to impress a mate. I've seen foxes do it when I was 20 or 30 meters distant... they had to have smelled me? But love was in the air.

Some personal experiences with skunks: as a child, I learned that while they can only spray 3 or 4 meters, with a good downwind, it carries... hence, my observation that, after cleansing with lemon and tomato juice, one only leaves the experience as an offensive smelling thing-- like a skunk bathed puke magnet that bathed in lemmony tomateos.

Skunks have no natural predators... but plenty of stupid humans and dogs that like to tease them.

Caveat: I grew up in the backwoods of nowhere; some slow moving varmit challenges a 10 year old with slingshot? Need I say more? I can't explain the dog's stupidity???

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back