Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

I live on a very small cove at the bend in a river that becomes a man-made lake where it bends away from our cove. The current washes "stuff" in to our cove, especially in the spring and it never leaves. I wonder if, instead of a 'death plate', your collection is something more like this where shells were washed into a dead end after a heavy rain(s).

Your funny D, sometimes when I'm looking at fossils I think, well D's going to say this looks like a duck or a frog or an umm acorn squash......:heee:

LOL, how can you NOT think that looks like an acorn squash?

Attachments

• conv_300766.jpg
    conv_300766.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 129
  • conv_300767.jpg
    conv_300767.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 130
Well with another scrubbing and dry it doesn't look as much like the one in the link, but still interesting. I said earlier that the average size of these things are around a cm. but it's more like 1.5 to 2cm. :roll:

Attachments

• conv_300770.jpg
    conv_300770.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 147
Terri;196026 said:
I wonder if the "Salterian mode" would apply to my fossil. It's disarticulated at the right spot, I was googling and ran across this paper.

Hi Terry. It is kind of hard to determine from the photo, but your specimen appears to be a ventral(underside view). On the left side, at the top(anterior), it appears that part of the free cheek or the palpebral lobe is preserved. With some time and effort, much more of the thing might be found in the matrix. The preservation, being what it is, makes identification next to impossible, but it could be one of the phacopids in that paper, but it could also be one of the ondontopleurids, lichids, or proetids. Nice find anyway, though.

Hello Solius! I think we can just make out enough detail to see that it's most likely a moult (very difficult to photograph). After looking again I think I may see the "free cheek", I wouldn't have caught that! :cool2: I don't have much experience with trilobites, but they sure are fun to find! This fossil is so tiny and not being very familiar with the pieces and parts I don't know if I would attempt to try and prep it. :hmm: Where would you even start with a fossil this small and preserved in this way, air abrasion?

Terri;196598 said:
I don't have much experience with trilobites, but they sure are fun to find!
Yes they are. I still remember the excitement at finding my first nearly complete trilobite. That was over 30 years ago. It is kind of like one's first kiss; you don't forget it.

Terri;196598 said:
This fossil is so tiny and not being very familiar with the pieces and parts I don't know if I would attempt to try and prep it. :hmm: Where would you even start with a fossil this small and preserved in this way, air abrasion?

I find prep-work very relaxing. I have pneumatic pens and abrasive machines, and I do use them, but I like to sit behind a behind a binocular scope with a pin vise.

You said that thing is small... my first thought when I saw it was that it was an odontopleurid, but that Order is rather rare... I wish we could see the pygidium and cephalon.

EDIT: Edited for missing tag... I just realized that posts could be edited. Cool!

I find prep-work very relaxing. I have pneumatic pens and abrasive machines, and I do use them, but I like to sit behind a behind a binocular scope with a pin vise

Nice, exactly what I need. I think once I start prepping it will be difficult to pull me away, but the hunt itself will always be my first love.

I wish we could see the pygidium and cephalon

Me too! Odontopleurids are known from the middle Ordovician?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back