Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

Terri;168596 said:
Have you ever ran across anything you believed or know to be chepalopod trace, as in touch or grazing marks?

I haven't, I don't think anyone else has really been able to attribute any traces with cephalopods, I'll look into it though. There was a paper a few years back that showed where shells hit the ocean floor before falling over, I'll look into that one too.

I put a book on my Xmas list that is supposed to do a nice job of going through time on the sea floor (unfortunately the reasonably priced hardback is gone but there is at least one softback still available). If I don't get it then, my birthday is not long afterwards :biggrin2: I am hoping this will help me visualize the film show you are setting up for us :sagrin: in the proper prospective.

Read a review or two, it really is not about fossils but about how the ocean floor developed in a coffee table book with an illustrator that is highly praised. It won't have details like the papers you are finding It is simply enough written to read to a youngster, which almost made me not list it, but the reviews still suggested that it gives a feeling for how the floor is layered. Hopefully it will not be too simplistic to not be enjoyable.

Terri;168596 said:
The really cool thing about that brach plate Kevin, is that it looks like at one time to have extended over a really large area I'm finding little pockets scattered around the exposed rocks there and all the brachs weathered out of the matrix just laying around.

Two photos of the Early Ordovician (Ibexian) Hesperonomiella minor Shell Bed. Shells average about 1cm wide. This bed is found over a large area of Utah and Nevada. Paleozoic shell beds are mostly composed of brachiopods while after the P/T extinction they contain mostly bivalves. Looks like you may have a shell bed in common with hallucigenia.

papers that may be of interest:

Lower and Middle Ordovician Shell Beds from the Basin and Range Province of the Western United States (California, Nevada, and Utah)

Ben Dattilo | Purdue University Fort Wayne - Academia.edu

Attachments

• conv_297548.jpg
    conv_297548.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 77
  • conv_297549.jpg
    conv_297549.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 65
Thanks Kevin and D! I've learned so much this year and had a blast doing it!:biggrin2:

:nautiloi:The longest thread (about cephalopods) in the Fossils Forum
:goofysca: hmmmm, maybe some day I'll start a knew thread.....

It's been a great ride. :biggrin2:
Well hang on to your hat Kevin, going through my pictures I realized I had taken 400, some duplicates but still a lot to show!:roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back