• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I'll bet that was a beautiful animal. So sad that it is ill and I hope you are wrong about what is ailing it. There is a relatively new cousin to rabies that is concerning the people in AU. There have only been 3 cases but the thing is a monster (carried by the bats). There is an inoculation but it does not show up for a long period (several months in at least one case) and then is fatal. We learned a little about it when I wanted to see the fruit bats and was able to see a rescued orphan being fed (in my FB photo album log and on Facebook). I was not allowed to touch even the baby and the handler was required to have the inoculation.

Cool fossil too :biggrin2:

Terri

Sepia elegans
Registered
I can't tell what that V shaped thing on the left is.

Me either, one of the pics. I'll retake when I'm sure that skunk isn't hanging around my outcrop! Really have to look but there appears to be ribs(?), septa(?). I don't know, it's curious though.

Terri

Sepia elegans
Registered
I'll bet that was a beautiful animal.

Kind of hard to tell the way it was flopping, and rolling around! I called the county who directed me to the TWRA (I thought you were supposed to report rabid animals). The response I got was "Your more than welcome to shoot it." I'm just hoping he'll ramble on off into the woods and stay there. :goofysca:

Solius

Blue Ring
Registered
Terri;196903 said:
Kind of hard to tell the way it was flopping, and rolling around! I called the county who directed me to the TWRA (I thought you were supposed to report rabid animals). The response I got was "Your more than welcome to shoot it." I'm just hoping he'll ramble on off into the woods and stay there. :goofysca:

Hi Terry, if it was flopping and rolling around, this time of year, it could've been to impress a mate. I've seen foxes do it when I was 20 or 30 meters distant... they had to have smelled me? But love was in the air.

Some personal experiences with skunks: as a child, I learned that while they can only spray 3 or 4 meters, with a good downwind, it carries... hence, my observation that, after cleansing with lemon and tomato juice, one only leaves the experience as an offensive smelling thing-- like a skunk bathed puke magnet that bathed in lemmony tomateos.

Skunks have no natural predators... but plenty of stupid humans and dogs that like to tease them.

Caveat: I grew up in the backwoods of nowhere; some slow moving varmit challenges a 10 year old with slingshot? Need I say more? I can't explain the dog's stupidity???

Terri

Sepia elegans
Registered
Caveat: I grew up in the backwoods of nowhere; some slow moving varmit challenges a 10 year old with slingshot? Need I say more. I can't explain the dogs stupidity???

I'll bet your mother was very happy with you! Now that I know it's mating season I'll be more watchful, and buttermilk doesn't work either.

Terri

Sepia elegans
Registered
DSCN4460.JPG DSCN4462.JPG DSCN4460.JPG Hello all, this may be clear to Kevin, but it has me stumped. It's either a Cephalopod or a Trilobite. From the Lebanon Limestone and about 6cm. x 3.5. I had to bump the color up on the top view (various shades of grey). So am I seeing chambers or axial rings? On the end view, siphuncle or hypostoma? I hope you
can see enough detail.

:oops: The text was meant to come before the pictures and one of them posted twice. I hope the thumbnails will enlararge .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak